Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

Hello Porchers,
I apologize for being a little absent here on the porch. I underwent knee replacement surgery at the end of last month. I'm a little lame but feeling better. I'm about to go back on full feed any day.
It's tough for a farmer to watch out the window while others do your chores. The better I feel, the harder it gets. I do understand the importance of healing and therapy. I also understand that the road will be a little rough for a bit yet. I do however, look forward to walking over plowed ground behind pair of horses without some of the pain I have dealt with for years.
Wife says, that I even get a new pair of shoes...and I don't have to nail them on!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-07-10 11:06:50 (CST)

Wishes for a speedy recovery, Ralph. I know how it is to be " a little lame", since I have been using a walking cane for more than half a year now. But the beat goes on...

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-07-18 11:27:16 (CST)

Klaus, I understand the walking cane. It has been 3 weeks since my surgery. I feel better each day. I cannot believe the stability that has been restored in my knee. The healing takes a while, but I am pretty sure farming will get a little easier when I have a good peg to stand on again. Thanks for your well wishes.

K.C. Fox says 2017-07-19 02:07:53 (CST)

Just take your time healing up Don't rush it. I know how it feels to be lame. When I broke my pelvis it took about 2+ years to heal up. I never quit working just changed how I did some things. out of 4 people around here that broke their pelvis I'm the only one who still rides Horse back, I couldn't walk so I had to ride. it was not easy and I hurt it once or twice. good luck in healing up and getting back to your work, it will still be there when you can go to work.

JerryHicks says 2017-07-19 05:15:46 (CST)

Ralph, best wishes for a speedy recovery, but don't rush it! I know it's easy to get anxious and think "well, this little bit won't hurt." but, it really does take some time to fully recover, and taking the time on the front end is better than making repairs again later. Hang in there, it will get better before you know it!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-07-20 10:46:03 (CST)

You guys are sure right. I get to feeling pretty good, so I walk a little farther or stretch a little more, then man do I ever feel it the next day. Slow and steady wins the race I guess.
Thank you for your well wishes.
My family and friends have joined together this week to combine the spelt crop, cut and bale the straw. They even cut, raked, baled and put away the last small field of first cutting... I watched from my window seat, feeling blessed and humbled.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.