Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

For safety's sake, I thought I should start using kicking straps, though my mare has never had any issues. I occasionally take folks for cart rides and want to make sure all goes well. I've seen two kinds of kicking straps. One style is described as being attached with a crupper. Another style doesn't appear to be anything other than a long strap with the two adjustable loops on each end. I don't use a crupper as a rule. So how does one attach the style that doesn't appear to have any way of attaching? Or if I am seeing the photos wrong, can anyone suggest where I can buy kicking straps that do not require a crupper to attach?

Thanks!

NoraWI says 2016-12-05 05:28:45 (CST)

Why fix something if it ain't broke? There is such a thing as taking too many extra precautions and causing problems that didn't exist before!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

LadyInVA says 2016-12-05 23:15:31 (CST)

Because one never knows when something will 'break' with an animal. Most of these rides are with children, If a horsefly bites her butt and she kicks out, there goes the front of the Meadowbrook and possibly ejecting a child (or me).

beelee says 2016-12-10 22:33:02 (CST)

Kicking straps are usually used with the crupper fork, because generally, the further back the kicking strap is attached, the more effective it is.

A common style of kicking strap has two slots at top center, through which the crupper fork straps slide. The kicking strap drops down between the horse and the shaft on each side. Then it takes a wrap or two around the shaft. The end of the strap goes up and buckles into itself.

It's best if the kicking strap passes through a "footman loop" that is screwed into the side of the shaft. Otherwise, it has a tendency to migrate out of place.

The strap should be loose enough so you can push the horse's bum all the way over to the shaft on each side. You do not want it so tight that it tugs on the crupper when the horse is in motion.

You might be able to obtain a kicking strap arrangement that snaps into the center ring of a breeching spider, but the further forward, generally the less effective. If you wish to incorporate this safety device, you will probably want to use the crupper as well.

beelee says 2016-12-11 09:39:08 (CST)

One way I used to attach a kicking strap to a spider ring without the crupper used two straps and four Conway buckles. Attach the straps to the spider ring with one Conway per strap. Slide a second Conway onto each strap, but do not fasten it. Run the ends of the straps through the slots in the kicking strap. Get the kicking strap in the position you want it (close to the dock of the tail), fold the straps over the top of the kicking strap, then insert the strap ends into the Conways. You will have to punch holes in the strap as needed for the Conway posts. This works great if you want to eliminate the crupper. Somewhere I have a photo of this. If I can find it I will post.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.