Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Yesterday evening, looking around on the Internet for horse videos, I came upon " Six-in-hand with Lisa Stroud at Southern Pine CDE". She drives a six-up through a complex labyrinth of solid obstacles, some even in a water course, with absolutely amazing precision and a remarkably brisk trot. That is the high art of driving!

NoraWI says 2016-10-24 15:27:01 (CST)

Yes, Klaus, the lady can certainly drive! I watched another video of her driving 6-in hand through a course and photographed from the driver's perspective, probably with a GoPro attached to her body. It was spectacular. What came home to me was that those lead horses are very far ahead of the driver. She has to think ahead to signal them on where to make their turns. I also noticed that when there was any doubt, the horses stopped until she made it clear to them which of the openings they should go through. Amazing! How does one drive a 6-in hand team like that through such a tight and confusing course?

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-10-24 21:43:57 (CST)

Something similar, this time with heavy horses, respectively with mules can be seen in this video from Germany: Titanen der Rennbahn 2014 Hindernisfahren fur Sechsspanner ( Sorry, I still do not know how to highlight this so you would only have to click on it; we got a new computer with a more modern program and I am lagging behind). By the way, the six-up of mules won in this event.
Nora, unfortunately in the Stroud video I cannot see the hands of the driver, but I know it is utterly impossibe to drive like this with the hands far apart; they have to be close together so that it doesn't take too much time time to reach over and lengthen or shorten the lines. It' s obviously that the horses need to get the commands in a staggered fashion, first the lead team, then the swing team and then the wheel team, otherwise they would all swerve simultaneously and thereby run the vehicle into the obstacle.

NoraWI says 2016-10-25 07:43:16 (CST)

Yes, Klaus. A complicated way to drive, in my opinion. The first person vantage point is incredible! At some points it even made my stomach queasy!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-10-31 21:51:15 (CST)

Klaus, I finally got a chance to watch the video. You are right! The horses listen well too, that helps a lot, but she sure can drive.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.