Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

Since I still haven't found a nice Bay to match up to my Stone gelding, I've deciding to get another blonde Belgian to match Millie, she is 17.2 maybe 3 blonde Belgian. she is 14 I believe this year. So I'm looking for something in that area. Does anyone have anything like that around, that's not 10 hrs away. Dris you know of any maybe? I'm looking for something that can be bred as well. I tell you what coming from the QH world I never would of guessed drafts are that hard to come across. but now I know why matched teams are so pricey. ill probably sell stone in the spring at the rich hill sale in mo

Dris Abraham says 2016-09-22 07:54:56 (CST)

The bred and real broke belgian mare is rare today and expensive. If they are of sound conformation, decent lineage and able to really work(not just pull a forecart) they are just not up for sale and if they are they are expensive. We have several into break right now that are going into fall open. I wil check with customers and see what is available. Feel free to call 765 479 0369 anytime.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-22 18:58:41 (CST)

Michael, where at youe located? Elmer Beechy in Jamesport ( 660 684 6775) pretty much always finds the right horse. He is a dealer with a very good reputation and also will take back a horse if the buyer is unhappy with it. I have done business with him for over 20 years and was always treated fairly.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-23 13:30:21 (CST)

Just read my last post here, of course I meant " where are you located". Dris is absolutely right, all well trained draft horses cost a lot more money than just a few years ago. Since there are no funds, brokers or government entities involved in the draft horse market, the laws of supply and demand are really driving the market here. And of course with the big money going for show horses other sellers are also seeing their chances. And let's not forget, with the purchase price for a well trained animal you are actually paying the trainer for all his/her hours, too.

Bird says 2016-09-24 15:15:56 (CST)

I am trying to sell a team of nice mares right now. Maybe you need a three-up?

Michael Sills says 2016-09-26 08:33:35 (CST)

I'm in Southern Central Kansas about 30-45 min from Oklahoma and about 30 min from Wichita Kansas. I've been searching the areas I can think of looking but like you said they are not around or they are not sound. I thought I had a new team bought last week but I was not quick enough on the trip down. A team of yearlings both black registered Percherons old fashioned type. In less than 8 hours he had already sold them to a guy up the road from me (5 miles). Which is weird since the seller is about 3.5 hrs away from us. But hey another guy with drafts in my neck of the woods so I wont complain to much. So my search continues...

Where are you located at Bird

Dris Abraham says 2016-09-26 09:15:49 (CST)

What you are paying for when you buy a well trained horse is the ability t.o put that horse to work right away, safely on your farm or ranch. Untrained, undisciplined draft horses get folks hurt, discouraged and provide no enjoyment.. We see alot of the untrained, undisciplined and the poorly trained at our facility.

Taking nothing away from those who train their own, we see more and more poorly broke horses that are being sold and it is a huge road block for new folks..

Dris Abraham says 2016-09-27 09:22:18 (CST)

Micheal, we have a 4 year old belgian mare 17.2 light sorrell white mane and tail. Started in harness that is open at this point and is for sale.

Michael Sills says 2016-09-27 13:59:59 (CST)

I understand and that's what I bought was a very well trained team and wasn't afraid to pay what they were worth. Coming from a guy who grew up making his money breaking and finishing quarter horses I know what you are saying. That being said I enjoy the time spent teaching horses and learning new things almost more than driving a well broke team. A well broke team like I have is great and I love having them my wife can drive them and my 4 yr old sitting beside me can maneuver them and they listen very well. They are traffic safe and in parades a lot. However that is something I want for myself and that is to start young horses and build them up.. its what I've always done just not with drafts. I do have a 80 yr old neighbor that does his own training not as much as he used to but he gives me young ones and I put time and miles on them end enjoy the heck out of it. So don't get me wrong I understand what cost money in a horse, our time is priceless. If we priced horses at the hours it takes to make a horse you couldn't afford one even if you were charging minimum wage for your time. It is just like my spurs and bits I make its a labor of love not an occupation for me. I am now a welder by trade and have built several training and pulling devices to start and excersise horses with and so far I love it...So its just my logical next step.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.