Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

What four cereal grains or their products are valued most for poultry feeding?

Andy Daniel says 2016-09-09 08:00:01 (CST)

A wild guess, corn, wheat, barley, oats.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-10 09:10:53 (CST)

I have learned so much from these questions. I'm always looking for the next new one because, The older that I get the more I find out things I don't know. Thank you all for posting questions & answers both.

JerryHicks says 2016-09-12 08:08:01 (CST)

Corn, Wheat, Oats, and Barley.

I'm happy to post these questions, and am always pleased to know that others enjoy and benefit from them as I do. I've learned a lot from these questions, myself; not just how things once were, but now and then I read things that I may want to consider incorporating into my own operation, or at least to think about.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-09-13 20:13:23 (CST)

Jerry you are right on target! I like to read "Morrison's Feed and Feeding" for just the same reasons. There is much wisdom in the old ways!

JerryHicks says 2016-09-14 06:30:33 (CST)

I really like Morrison's Feed and Feeding. I have a couple of copies and have given away a couple of copies. My favorite is the seventh edition. It has more practical information, I think, than the newer versions. I have one of the more recent copies when it became "Nutrition" and it has recommendation on such things as how much newspaper a cow can be fed, or chicken litter, or how much saw dust to mix in the feed. I personally don't care for that type stuff. I've put together a pretty good collection of older farming and farm related books. I really recommend Farm Knowledge; a set of encyclopedia type books printed in a four volume set by Sears and Roebuck. My copies are from 1917, but are surprisingly advanced on some of their information; their pharmaceutical info, not so much. I tend to shy away from the uses of lead, arsenic, kerosene. I have a really good book called The Farming Handbook, which was printed for farmers in Kentucky in the late 40s, early 50s. It has some great information on various topics as well as a schedule of timing out crop and livestock activities. It might be a good idea for some of us to start doing some book reviews of some of the old texts for people on here who might be looking for such stuff.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.