Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I've got a quandary and not sure what to do about it. I know what I'd like to do about it, but it doesn't feel like the right thing to do. I have some neighbors who always take in the worst possible strays and they have no control over them. I've had problems before with their dogs, stealing eggs, killing chickens, running cattle and one even wouldn't let me in the barn one night to tend my mules. Those problems have over time been taken care of. Now they've taken in a stray Pyrenees though they have no stock for him to guard. He just lays in the their yard and watches the area. I have a long section of fence torn down in front of their place. It was torn down by the power company who trimmed the right of way. It was cut and down before I realized what they had left me with. Now, the problem. The dog thinks I'm on his turf and won't let me work on the fence. I called the neighbors and told them I had no intentions of getting dog bit, working on my own place. They just laughed and told me the dog wouldn't bite a flea! So, I reiterated, "I will not get dog bit working on my own place." I really have the sinking feeling that this isn't going to go well.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-06 14:24:18 (CST)

Oh Jerry, I feel for you.....They say fences make good neighbors, but pretty tough to erect the one you talk about.

We tried these dogs many years ago. I made a GIANT mistake. We made pets out of them before the sheep came. Once we tried to put them with the sheep, they hated it. The dogs had bonded with us and thought it was us who needed watching over. They absolutely would not stay with the sheep.

They would stretch out in front of our house, usually in front of the door. Some people they wouldn't let out of their cars, the rest would have to step over the huge dogs, hoping it wouldn't get up and take them for a ride around the farm!

Some of those dogs can be very cross when guarding what they believe to be theirs. Others will bark then lick your hand off...trouble is sorting out what kind it is.

I hope your neighbors will help you work this out, but in case they don't, research state law and be prepared to do what is necessary to keep you and yours safe.

I am a dog lover, but it will be a cold day when one keeps me out of my own barn, preventing me from feeding my stock. I am sure that was very hard for you as well. Good Luck my friend.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

G.D.Rose says 2016-07-06 20:10:31 (CST)

I hope your neighbor works with you, but if he doesn't, a good way to handle this is to get a can of bear spray and go work on the fence. If the dog comes around use it, and I bet the dog won't come back. Good luck on your situation

NoraWI says 2016-07-07 05:13:14 (CST)

I am a dog lover, too, but wouldn't tolerate your circumstance. "He won't bite" doesn't hack it with me! Where I live in Wisconsin, our first level of government is the Township. My Township chairman has been very helpful in fence issues. Specifically, when a neighbor refused to build his half of a fence. Since this involves a fence, I think you should appeal to your equivalent to Township for help. They may have more "muscle" than you do in getting the neighbor to put his dog under control. BTW, could it be that the broken part of the fence is your neighbor's half and his to repair? Also, can't you follow up with the entity that was responsible for taking the fence down to rebuild it, as they should have done in the first place?

Andy Daniel says 2016-07-07 10:32:39 (CST)

Shoot the neighbor and adopt the dog. Just kidding, but sure sounds like a bad problem for you to have to deal with. I have the same question, why didn't the power company put the fence back when the finished the job? I live in a very rural area, but still we have a leash law.

vince mautino says 2016-07-07 12:27:06 (CST)

Those little individual pepper spray containers for $5 or so work pretty good but usually only spray in a stream instead of a fan/mist. It can be hard to get the dog sprayed before it gets you. The bigger can of bear spray will put out a mist. Neither works good if it is real cold.

I'd personally contact the county sheriff's office and make an appointment for a deputy to meet you at the fence.

Inform them of a vicious dog on your property that you have to fence.

Let them shoot it or what ever it takes. Pretty sorry situation. We found out last year that the county won't prosecute for a vicious dog unless the dog actually bites you. Most they would do is issue a citation for a dog running loose.

JerryHicks says 2016-07-08 06:11:09 (CST)

I like the idea of the bear spray. I hate to shoot someones dog. Last time, when the lady laughed, she did put the dog up while I was working, but she also saw that I had my shotgun leaned against the closest tree while I was working. But it does seem a little out of hand to feel like one has to go armed to walk their own property without being attacked. Maybe I ain't cut out to have been a frontiersman. The power company lets their trim work out on a contract basis and the contractors do their work on and move on, quickly. They did repair things that were in sight of the house, but the further from it, the more damage they left. I didn't bother asking them to come back and fix it after the way they repaired a fence for me a few years ago. They asked if they could cut a fence to set a pole on my place and I said sure, as long as you repair the fence. After they left, the fence was two strands of barb wire that wasn't stretched and was taped to sticks with black electricians tape. When I called the power company they just said they'd see what they could do about getting someone to fix it right, and they sure were sorry, and that was that. Never got anything done. The old fence needed replacing anyway, and I'm a firm believer in "if you want anything done right, do it yourself." so, I'm building fence. Having to fight off "wild" animals and occasionally irate neighbors doesn't help. Maybe getting back to the frontiersman motif is the way to go. Where else can a man get the true frontier experience of feeling like he's back at old Boonesborough!? That might be a selling point for taking on interns! "Now when you go to work, make sure to keep that rifle tied to the plow handles, keep that thar tommy hawk and skinin' knife in your belt and handy, and keep a sharp eye to the wood lines. Ther' ain't no tellin' what's apt t' come outta them thar woods!"

vince mautino says 2016-07-08 08:21:35 (CST)

Wait until you see a neighbor's dog pull down a calf or goat, or maybe rip a calf apart while it is being born. A week ago, two dogs mauled a little mini donkey of a neighbor's that had to be put down. Experience those things and a person will fast change their mindset.

Maybe that doesn't happen in the east , but here in Colorado in rural areas, when neighbors don't act responsibly, we usually settle it ourselves, Luckily with my two mules, I don't have to shoot may dogs as they will stomp and kill any that get in the pasture.

JerryHicks says 2016-07-09 09:00:22 (CST)

I should have been more clear I suppose on the shooting thing. I hate shooting dogs but it isn't off the table. I have shot dogs for stealing eggs, killing chickens, killing calves etc. but I don't like having to do it. On the one hand, and especially in a case like this, I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner. These are the same people who let my cattle out before and than asked me for 2,000 dollars because there was a cow track on a septic tank and it "might have been damaged." It is a shame to shoot an animal because it happens to belong to a person who can't or won't take responsibility for it. However, if it comes to being attacked while working on my own property or shooting a dog, I'll shoot the dog. I just hope to keep it as a last option. I also really don't feel comfortable putting into print in a public forum that I have any intentions of shooting a dog, in this day and age, though I am a proponent of the 3 S's, shoot, shovel, and shut up. I think however, this might be a situation that can be sorted out a bit more amicably if I apply myself to it. That's why I like the idea of bear spray. The dog might learn something that the owners aren't willing to work on, and as long as he stays on his side of the road I don't care if he barks. I've also considered, a sling shot, a stock whip, fire crackers, one of those push button bark deterrents, or a good hickory club, but I still keep my pistol in my pocket.

K.C. Fox says 2016-07-09 21:32:22 (CST)

I would get a taser as cheap of one as you can get, we got a sale catalog that sold 2 3 million ones for 13.00 and I use the taser noise. to stop my cow dogs from doing what I don't want them to do from as far away as 100'. I have never touched one of my dogs with the Taser Just the noise of the taser will stop them. they like to get off the 4 wheeler when I'm in the corral working cows, and I don't want them in there with me when they get off I just hit the button and tell them to get on they will now stay on the 4 wheeler as long as it don't holler at the cows and even when they can't see me.

Koty says 2016-07-11 16:55:37 (CST)

Document interactions in writing. Copy the owner and mail to the sheriff and county animal control officer, if you have one. You need a paper-trail.

One bite and it's all over!

So. Oh. Bill says 2016-07-11 23:05:55 (CST)

Jerry, I told a friend of mine about your problem with the neighbor. He is a retired Kentucky State Police officer that patrolled the Flemingsburg area about fifteen years ago. He suggested that you call the sheriffs office or the State Police and have them come out to your place and show them the problem fence area. They will talk to the neighbor about his liability for your safety while working on the fence. Your neighbor will not be very happy with you, but will understand that their actions will not be tolerated.
This call will be on the officers report and offers you a witness regarding the fence issues.

Shooting the dog just may cost you a mule or some cows. Grabbing the gun may cost you a lot of head aches in the long run.
Respect is something that you demand, No body just gives it to you!!!
Good luck
Bill Lemar

JerryHicks says 2016-07-12 05:43:55 (CST)

Well, apparently the issue has been resolved this time. Every time that I've been to work on the fence the dog has been penned in their barn. I hope to have the fence done this week then they can do what they want

K.C. Fox says 2016-07-13 09:05:19 (CST)

Happy for you that you have the problem resolved without shoting and fist fighting or court.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-07-13 18:42:30 (CST)

Great news Jerry. I think K.C. said it all!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.