Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

In most of the Youtube videos of farmers driving draft horses in Belgium, they only use one line. How do the horses know where to go? Is this common all over Europe?

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-03 18:28:14 (CST)

Not all over Europe, but in many countries. It also was used in the USA. When I met Elmar Lapp, one of the founders of Horse Progress Days, at his farm in Kinzers, PA, he drove a six-up with one line. It's called a jerk-line and as the name suggests, the driver jerks the line and the length of the jerk/pull tells the horse where to go. In Bavaria, where I grew up and lived for 44 years, the line was split above the back, with one side being slightly longer than the other. In addition to that voice commands are used.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

JerryHicks says 2016-05-05 06:07:40 (CST)

I don't know much about jerk line driving but I seem to recall that the horses heads are connected by a jockey stick in some situations. The line is usually connected to the outside bit ring on the lead animal. A steady pull will cause the team to swing to the left while a series of short quick jerks will cause the lead horse to throw his head up and to the right, away from the jerking, which will in turn push he team mate over causing the team to swing to the right. I've seen this setup in old pictures of Conestoga wagons where the driver rode the wheel horse and drove a six or eight up with a single jerk line.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-05-05 09:36:47 (CST)

Yes, Jerry, that's exactly the way I saw Elmar Lapp doing it, driving the six-up from the near wheel horse. Those horses were extremely attentive to the driver's commands

K.C. Fox says 2016-05-08 10:55:43 (CST)

that is the way the 20 team borax drivers did it. with a chain running from the lead team to the wheeler team the 18 teams in the middle were hooked by the double trees only so they could jump the chain to keep from pulling the wagon into the rocks or over the bank on the turns. they said it was different when you couldn't see the lead team. I saw a video of some people training 20 mule teams with a jerk-line to get the mules to jump over the chain they rubbed the line on the mules ears they jumped back on there own. I love the internet for the info that is out there that I can access if I can stumble on to it once I bookmark it then I have it until the computer crashes again, sometimes I never find it again.

Ronnie Tucker says 2016-05-08 18:17:40 (CST)

I use 1 line a lot of the time. a like it in the woods and plowing with a walking plow.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.