Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I bought myself a registered Percheron filly. She is two years old and from the "Sterling Thunderstick" breeding line, as are my geldings. She is a baby, but her training will begin immediately. Tonight she is learning her stall and team mate.
I have a two year plan to exit my off farm job and farm and log with my horses full time. She will be a four year old then and just right to fit my plan. She brings my total number of draft horses to four. Having two teams to work will be a wonderful thing, once I make the transition. Plus I can't wait to put four horses on my round baler.
These next two years will be fun as she and I get to know each other and she becomes part of the power source for my farm.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-04-28 11:43:17 (CST)

Congratulations, Ralph. It is always exciting to get a new horse on the place, no matter how long one already has had horses. She looks very nice and I'm sure you'll be very successful with her and have a lot of fun, too.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-04-28 20:24:19 (CST)

Thank you for your confidence in my ability Klaus.
I had to be honest with myself. I realize that my retirement is coming soon. I only have so many years of ability for training young strong colts. I decided that time is now to get one started. I expect my horses to live with me until they die. I'm no horse jockey. I just want good quiet , broke horses. I do it myself that way I am to blame for any bad habits they get.
This filly is fitting in well. She needs to learn a few stable manners as well as, who is in charge. She will learn, but right now we are all getting acquainted. She is learning her stall and the daily routine. I will tolerate her pushy behavior for about three more days. I want her to trust me first, then respect me. She is a smart horse, so respect must come soon, otherwise she will be putting the harness on me!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.