Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I have a pet pig. Well It's not exactly mine but is staying at my place. The young woman who helps me with the horses got it as a runt on a farm where she worked. When she and the farm owner had a falling out, she had to take the pig and her father doesn't like pigs so he would not let her bring it home. So she asked me. Gordie, the pig, will never be eaten. He will live out his life here. He knows his name, walks on a leash, and is a funny fellow. We built him an insulated pig house which he keeps very clean, so I know this winter he was not laying in muck. I have two questions. 1) he seems to had a rash in front of his sheath. It is very hard and crusty. When I bring it off the skin underneath seems fine. He also has this not as badly in what I would call his arm pits. In general his skin is very dry and flaky. Should we be doing any thing for this? 2) Right now he live on a cement pad (one of my old sled dog kennels) and I would like to allow him to root around in the field next to his house. Can I use electric fencing like I do for the horses only spaced lower and closer together? I would like to use something that can be moved to other areas. I don't want to be cruel and want him to stay a happy guy. Thanks for your help and I know some of you front porchers will be shaking their heads and thinking I'm crazy but I hope someone can help me out.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-04-22 01:14:05 (CST)

Robin, one hot wire about 9 inches off the ground will hold your pig. I suggest getting him used to it by leashing him, letting him touch the fence with his nose. They learn real quick to stay away from it. Keep the weeds and grass from growing too thick and shorting out the wire.
Another option is to use the poly electro net fencing for poultry. It is more visible, still shocks and is easily moved.

As for his rashes, they may clear up once he gets out on the ground more. If his pen is clean and mud free as you say, perhaps its a flea or other external parasite? It may just be dermatitis from dry skin.

Once you get him on soil, check his condition out and see if it improves.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

JerryHicks says 2016-04-22 06:53:24 (CST)

I try to keep my hot wire at about eye level and raise it as the pigs grow. I use two wires for young pigs, which might be more inclined to jump but once they get some size on them and are better trained to the wire I go to a single strand. I will add, that if you lead him much, you may have to take some extra time to convince him to lead out of the paddock once he is used to the wire. From my experience it take a lot of patience and time to convince a hog to cross a line that was once electrified.

KM says 2016-04-22 17:26:41 (CST)

Make sure they learn the wire is hot. If they ever get the knowledge that hit is hard and fast it only hurts for a second and you are free.

carl heth says 2016-04-22 17:56:31 (CST)

When I had pig with electric fence. We always used either a wood gate or metal gate where we wanted them to enter or leave. Put the electric fence up to both sides of gate, but not on gate.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.