Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

8 years ago

rh comment count

My daughter is looking at trying to raise fish for her FFA project, does anyone one have experience in fish farming or aquaponics? Will take any advice or reliable research sites, thank you

NoraWI says 2016-03-28 05:08:35 (CST)

Google has an incredible amount of information on fish farming. And so does the DNR. To find some local fish farmers to interview, add your state to the query. I imagine that a small scale FFA project can be started in a good size livestock water tank. It would be easier still if you had access to spring water that would keep the tank both aerated and supplied with food. I keep a couple of goldfish (carp) in one of my spring tanks sort of like the canary in the mine to alert me of any contamination. In my 8-foot tank, the two fish stop growing at about 8 inches. Carp are quite long lived. Mine seem to last for about 12 years. In 26 years I've had to replace them only once. They consume whatever the spring water has to offer, from algae to crayfish larvae. I never feed them. In the orient, farmers combine fish farming lagoons with other crops as well as some animal husbandry. It's an interesting project for your daughter to try.

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ossahatchee says 2016-03-28 10:43:52 (CST)

Depending on where you live and the timeframe of the project you might consider raising crawfish. Marketed for food or fish bait there is a demand. If you are located within an hours drive of a military base you have a ready made market.

If I can help feel free to contact me.

Dick Hutchinson says 2016-03-28 11:36:49 (CST)

Don't know what wild life are in your area. But make sure you set your so you aren't raising fat mink or otters. Or else you have a good dog.

G.D.Rose says 2016-03-28 19:59:41 (CST)

We live in nw Nebraska where springs are hard to to come by. Our water source will be well water. As for the gold fish my family have had them in our water tanks since my grandfather put them in his horse tanks back in the 1920's, these gold fish live off of what the horses drop in the tank. My daughter was thinking about raising cat fish but the bait or crawfish is a really good idea. Thanks for the imputs welcome to more food for thought.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.