Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I placed an item on the Swap Meet recently and received an email from a fellow supposedly interested. The message he sent me read: "Thanks for your reply,Concerning my inquiry,Am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i won't be making any repairs on it. I'm making an offer of $250 and I will add $50 to it for keeping it for me, Please provide your full Name, Address your Phone number for payment.I am paying by Check. It will take few days for payment to get to you. As per pick-up, I will make arrange for the pick-up after payment has been received by you.I hope it is in good condition,kindly get back to me with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.I would have loved to come check it out but i am presently away on a business trip,so you can send me pics of the item so that i can know it is in good condition. I would appreciate it if you take the posting off the site today and consider it sold to me.As for the pick-up,it would be handled after you receive your payment. Thanks. God Bless You." His name was "Scott Turner" and email address was gen2rule20@gmail.com. The message struck me as odd so I Googled it. This fellow is running a scam on numerous horse/farming boards as well as on other "Equipment for Sale" forums. He has used variations of this email address too but the message is almost always the same except for the fund denomination. If you get one like this, report it to Google please and do not respond further to this crook.

NoraWI says 2015-12-21 08:32:47 (CST)

Thanks for the heads-up! I am constantly amazed at the fact that any new technology is immediately perverted by people trying to get something for nothing. Seems to me it is more work planning and doing a scam than working a real job for pay. But, then, what do I know? *SHAKING HEAD*

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2015-12-21 09:26:06 (CST)

Unfortunately that is a pretty common scam. I have become reluctant to post items for sale almost anywhere anymore. I used to use Craigs List but I got tired of the same email you received. Or the ever popular is the item still available and how much is it, when you have plainly stated in the ad the price and that if the ad is up the item is available.

We have became a society that is no longer "buyer beware" but now "seller beware".

Even with all the warnings out there people still get stung, just a week ago it was on our local radio news that someone in our town spent $1500 to claim a prize, they asked for more money so she got suspicious.

LadyInVA says 2015-12-21 13:35:04 (CST)

I'm glad that part of my little brain said "Google that email address." I have Googled phone numbers that kept popping up on my cell phone and lists came up where people have posted that number and what kind of scam was going on. Now if any of you need some Pioneer sled runners...let me know. :-)

Bertie says 2015-12-22 06:19:41 (CST)

What kind of scam is it? I mean what are they gaining out of sending emails like this? Your name, address, & phone # to send you more advertising, or what?
Seems like a lot of trouble to get the information that you can get pretty much anywhere. What am I missing?
I've gotten a couple of these emails before from craigslist, but most of them want to send me a check for more than the asking price and send the rest back to them type thing.

Uncle Joe says 2015-12-22 14:26:09 (CST)

Bertie, that is exactly the scam. They send you a check or credit card payment and you send them their change and then your bank is unable to collect the original funds or they suffer a "charge back" and you are out the original funds they sent you plus the change you sent them.

They have no risk because the original payment they make to you is bogus.

Joe

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.