Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

We've been going through the farm question books for quite some time now and we've covered several topics. I'm wondering if maybe it's time to give the farm questions a hiatus? I don't mind the posting, but it kind of seems that interest might be waning. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

NoraWI says 2015-12-03 06:51:50 (CST)

Jerry, without the questions you post, this forum would be slow indeed! Maybe slow down the posts a bit instead of discontinuing them entirely?

8 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

vince mautino says 2015-12-03 10:13:49 (CST)

I don't know a lot about chickens, but most everything else interests me. Even if I don't know the answers, I learn something.

I have never seen a lot of replies , but people are still interested I think.

I would not like to see it discontinued

Klaus Karbaumer says 2015-12-03 10:43:27 (CST)

I agree with Nora. Once or twice a week probably would be fine.

K.C. Fox says 2015-12-03 12:29:46 (CST)

I enjoy the questions most of them I don't know about but would
hate to see them discontinued. I have learned about quite A few things that I knew nothing about. Your time posting the questions Is appreciated and I'm learning to type again, spelling is something else but I think I'm getting better. What ever you decide I will live with thank you for your time and work so far.

So. Oh. Bill says 2015-12-03 20:25:08 (CST)

They say that we are supposed to learn something new everyday, And some days, the only thing that I learn comes from your post. I look forward to your daily questions, but I am sure that looking for new material is getting harder day after day. I am sure that many of us enjoy and really appreciate your efforts . Skipping a day or two now and then will not break our hearts too bad!!!!!
Thanks for all you do....

Mike says 2015-12-04 05:02:59 (CST)

Jerry, I enjoy the questions and am learning things. Thanks. Mike

Ossahatchee says 2015-12-04 07:56:21 (CST)

I don't post but I enjoy reading the questions and the following discussions. I am certain the silent majority appreciate your efforts, I do.

Plowboy says 2015-12-04 08:46:37 (CST)

! don't always post because I don't have the answer, but I have learned a lot since you started this. Keep it up, perhaps once a week or everyother week Its always been interesting and informative.

Jonathan Shively says 2015-12-04 09:22:03 (CST)

Put me in the favorable column to continue, but cannot imagine the time cost to do it daily. And I have learned a lot as well as used it to stimulate conversations or thinking in my Intro to Ag classes.

JerryHicks says 2015-12-06 09:54:37 (CST)

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I had thought there might be a small group who were watching silently but didn't really think about it being a larger group or how much they would appreciate the questions even without venturing an answer. When I started this, I did it because I had received an antique farm game from a neighbor as a Christmas gift. It is sort of a 1930s version of Trivial Pursuit but the questions are all on farming. They are divided by topic and in several different volumes. When I started, I calculated, that given the number of questions available, I could ask a new question every day for ten years with out repeating. I have skipped a few question however, usually for one of two reasons, The main one being that the question was really far too easy and was pretty much common knowledge. The other reason, which thankfully, has been less frequent; I have found questions that contained wording that would be considered racist. I know as a boy growing up, some of these terms were used in agriculture and probably do continue to be used in certain circles but I would hope they are waning. I have to be honest though, the notion that I was posting too many questions never crossed my mind until I changed my avatar image from a mule to one of myself. For so regular a post I think seeing my own image crop up every day is too much for me to stomach and is a little overwhelming. I'm happy to continue the questions, daily, weekly, bi-weekly or what ever seems best to everyone else. I feel like I'm learning a lot from these post as I hope everyone else is as well and posting them is really no burden. So, maybe if everyone is okay with it, I'll just change my image back and continue forward as long as there's interest and Uncle Joe continues to so graciously provide the stage.

NoraWI says 2015-12-07 05:37:06 (CST)

But, Jerry, one of the pluses was seeing a face to go with the name! Don't deprive us of that! Maybe a shot of you working your animals?

Kate V says 2015-12-08 15:12:43 (CST)

Keep the questions coming! I love them, whether I have an answer or not.

I think the slowness, lack of responses, may have more to do with less people accessing this new site as opposed to the old site. I don't think its due to lack of interest.

Thanks, Jerry, for taking the time to post them.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.