Finding instruction and parts manuals for other old farm equipment is difficult, but not impossible. Sources include Lloyd Wenger, 831A Hilltop Road, Meyerstown, Pennsylvania 17067, phone 717-866-7147 (evenings) and Walter Miller, 6710 Brooklawn, Syracuse NY 13211, 315-432-8282. Walter has a large assortment of stationary engine, tractor, and farm implement literature, repair manuals, and parts books from 1900 to the present. Send him a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a specific request and he'll send a free list.
The Oliver and Hart-Parr Company archives now reside in the Floyd County Museum at Charles City, Iowa, phone 515-228-1099 (www.floydcountymuseum.org), The archives include photos, business records, advertising literature, and other documents from the years that Hart-Parr and Oliver machines were built in Charles City. The museum may have what you need.
The following farm equipment collector's clubs and brand specific magazines may come in handy for finding information about a particular farm implement. A letter to one of these organizations or a notice in their newsletter may turn up a source for parts or manuals.
- Advertising, literature, etc— Farm Machinery Advertising
Collectors, David Schnakenberg, 10108 Tamarack Drive Vienna, VA 22182,
- Allis-Chalmers — email@example.com, www.oldallisnews.com
- Case— ;J.I. Case Collectors' Association., Inc., PO Box 638, Beecher, IL 60401, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.jicasecollector.com
- David Bradley— The Bradley Historical Society, 147 S Michigan Ave, Bradley, IL 60915, 815-936-5149, email@example.com, www.bhsil.org
- International Harvester Company (McCormick-Deering) - National IH
Collectors Club, Inc., Emmett Webb, PO Box 35, Dublin, IN 47335, 765-478-6179, IHCCLUB@aol.com, www.nationalihcollectors.com
- International Harvester Company— Red Power Magazine,
Box 245, Ida Grove, IA 51445, 712-364-2131, www.redpowermagazine.com
- John Deere— Green Magazine, 2652 Davey Road, Bee, NE
68314-9132, 402-643-6269, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.greenmagazine.com
- Massey Collectors Association - Bill Parrish, 30700 E st Rt 2, Harrisonville, MO 44288, 816-626-3770, email@example.com, www.masseycollectors.com
- Minneapolis-Moline— The Prairie Gold Rush, Ken and Cheryl DeLap, 17390 S St Rd 58, Seymour, IN 47274, 812-342-3608, www.prairiegoldrush.com
- Hart-Parr Oliver - Hart-Parr Oliver Collectors Association, Larry Winder, 1930 N Indiana Ave, Auburn, IN 46760, 209-925-0051, www.hartparroliver.org
A classified ad in Rural Heritage
magazine or a notice on this site's Swap Meet
might turn up the manual you're looking for.
Finally, visit just about any of the antique equipment shows held each summer in every part of the country. Among the flea market vendors is usually at least one literature stand. These folks have box after box of old manuals, often organized by manufacturer.