Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

I hope some of you more experienced teamsters can help me with a question. I bought this three horse evener from a neighbor four or five years ago but have never used it. Recently I was looking it over and discovered that the three singletrees are not the same length. The left and center ones are 31" while the right one is 24.5". Is there a reason for that? It doesn't appear to have been modified so I'm sure it came from the factory that way. Any ideas?
Thanks, Scott

Scott N says 2021-08-11 16:50:43 (CST)

For some reason the picture didn't show up on the post. I'll try to upload it again.

2 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Neal in Iowa says 2021-08-13 03:07:33 (CST)

Where is the draft point on the evener? Centered on the outside single tree centers, or offset to the side (for use on a tongue)? The offset tongue evener would have an extra set of linkage to help equalize the load on the single horse side of the tongue, sort of a parallel linkage that also has a pin in the tongue. The shorter single tree might be to keep it off the tongue.

Or if the evener hole is centered, maybe it was for a smaller horse.

Neal

Scott S says 2021-08-27 02:39:06 (CST)

Both my 3 horse eveners are the same width of trees. The pull point should be off set so the middle animal is in the middle. I’m guessing they where breaking one on the smaller tree. When working three I use a double team set of rains. Back strap your outers to the hames of the center animal. Think explanation on this site. Works really well for breaking the untrained because you have full control of the center one and the outers are under its control.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.