Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

• latest reply 2 years ago

2 years ago

rh comment count

Been pretty dry for several weeks and there was almost nothing in sight. Then yesterday, what was supposed to be a 0.15", but 'locally heavy' shower gave us 2-1/4" in an hour. North of us, zip, south, one station had 1.36".... Local is right, but I'm counting us blessed.
Beans and corn are up, garden is happy. Hay ground sucks.

God bless

K.C. Fox says 2021-06-09 12:09:57 (CST)

I woke up to rain this morning A nice rain will be great compared to the 80+ temp of the past week. May everyone have plenty of rain.

2 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Mike Rock says 2021-06-25 11:29:29 (CST)

I wish I got paid what the weather guessers do. We have been scheduled for 1.2" to 1.5" of rain each day now.........sprinkles, enough to show cat tracks on the truck hood and that's it. Have 30 acres of grass hay past it's peak, waiting for clear days.

KC, hope you are getting some useful rains.

God bless

K.C. Fox says 2021-06-26 23:28:26 (CST)

after 4 weeks of no rain yesterday we got 3/4" of rain all around us they have got some rain 1"-2" east of us they got some 1" hail we haven't got any hail yet so I am thankful for that.We don't start haying until the 1st of August at the earliest

Mike Rock says 2021-06-29 21:01:08 (CST)

Well, the weather guessers did it again. Supposed to see 0.30" rain.
Just finished getting 3".... Like a cow peeing on a flat rock....my goodness it rained.

Now we are 'supposed' to get a week of severe clear...... I'll take a chance and knock down some grass hay tomorrow.. the front 12 acres of alfalfa is almost ready again.

It never ends.

God bless

K.C. Fox says 2021-07-09 02:08:06 (CST)

All together we got 1 1/4" of rain sat we are supposed to have 48% chance of rain it has felt like rain the past 2 days. Temp around 75-85 not 100 like last week, nice wind has kept the tanks almost full so livestock has enough water. my solar wells tanks are running over my order for more solar pumps is in Denver co supposed to be delivered the 7/12 2021 I will be happy if they are. Ordered them the 6/10/2021. I think solar is going to be the next pumps to be sold. I have 6 in this order 2 are already sold to be installed. I need to drill 2-4 more wells as soon as I get the time.

Mike Rock says 2021-07-09 23:20:49 (CST)

KC,
Any more information on the solar pumps? Name, supplier?
Sounds great. Do you drill your own wells or have it done?

Got 68 large rounds off this cutting, still not complete. At 950 pounds each I'm happy. Rain came and I was glad the last ten acres of grassy hay was still standing..... will have to wait a bit. It's WAY out of boot stage now. Part of what we cut was 13 acres with a lot of clovers. Honey crop is going to be great.
Just dug 190 row feed of nice garlic, best year ever. Have 5 more 95 foot rows to dig but we are supposed to get rain for the next week. Glad we got what we did. Some bulbs are 3" in diameter..... average is over 2-1/2 by a bit. Some of the Russian Red is only 1-1/2", but it sure is tasty.
Batch of fifteen or so American Mulefoot piglets getting castrated Monday..... anyone need Mulefoot heritage hogs, we will almost GIVE them away now. Have to cut down to a much smaller herd. Getting old and tired.... me, not the piggies.

God bless

K.C. Fox says 2021-07-15 14:07:09 (CST)

Rural Power Systems inc 40250 county rd 27, woodland ca 95776. 1-888-637-4493 Support@ruralpowersystems.com. They seem to be as good as everyone else and some cheaper. drill my own wells. Otherwise it would cost about 10,000. to get one drilled and a cased . we only go down about 120'-180' that is past the 1st water and into the gravel, We put in 4" plastic pipe with a sand screen on the bottom.

Mike Rock says 2021-07-17 04:30:50 (CST)

Thanks KC,
Will look them up right now!
Drilling, cable rig or rotary? Those gravels are sure a Godsend.
Used to live in and around the Pine Ridge and always envied the Sand Hills folks. Some great duck hunting stories about there.....
And the Windmill Hill place....what, seven big wooden mills?

Finally got a bit of dry coming. Had 2" a few days ago, now have a dozen acres of way old grasses to cut tomorrow.

Got two steers butchered last week, first steaks last night! Good stuff.

God bless.
Oh, is Col. Brewer your state representative? He has some health issues... PM me if he is.

K.C. Fox says 2021-07-21 07:31:29 (CST)

I drill with a rotary drill normally only have to go 120'-200. yes tom is our rep I don't know how to PM. We have got some rain 1/4-3/4" at a time. so far no hail we lost 2 cows to lightening the other night, hope there calves are big enough to make it.

Mike Rock says 2021-07-23 03:58:24 (CST)

KC,
Say a prayer for Tom. His leukemia is back, with a vengeance. We've been friends forever and he survived getting blown up in Afghanistan, flew in the Gulf War, one tough cookie. He lost his physical status due to that RPG hit. He was about to make General at the time. He retired out and went to work for the good people of western Nebraska. We grew up on the same part of the rez but never knew each other then.

God bless,
Mike

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.