Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

3 years ago

rh comment count

I was hauling yearlings to Harrison when I was going up smiley hill west of Fort Robinson the truck started smoking when I got to the top the fire came through the dash on the passenger side. so I just rolled to a stop and got out raised the hood went to get the fire Extinguisher the fire was so bad in the cab couldn't reach it so the semi tractor burned up. the wind was out of the south the semi was headed west and it blew the fire away from the pot. the first fire department the forest service was working close by I had them keep water on the front of the pot to keep the cattle from getting to hot. the tractor burned to the ground in about 25 minutes.by then 3 fire departments were there so the fire was contained and did not spread or burn away from the tractor. we Unloaded the yearlings onto another mans pot and he hauled the cattle where they were going. The owners daughter came with a car for me to drive home, I just lost some personal items all ended fairly well just the semi tractor was lost so I'm done trucking this spring. I wont buy a pot and the owner is going to sell his trailers, so I will just haul with my step deck and semi tractor I was driving his semi tractor.

NoraWI says 2020-05-28 09:25:29 (CST)

Sorry you lost your semi tractor. But no lives were lost... not yours nor the calves.

3 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Mike Rock says 2020-05-29 07:06:34 (CST)

KC, Glad YOU and the cattle are okay. Fire scares the crap out of me. Got caught in one once....not fun.

I hope you get everyone moved with no more excitement.

Spring here is just sloppy wet. STILL have corn to get in. Might skip that field this year, or have late sorghum.

Stay safe and God bless.

Mike

3 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.