Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

I hope some of you are able to get spring crop ground worked and crops planted. We finished making maple syrup the end of March. I started plowing the first part of April. I barely got the field opened up and it's been too wet ever since. Only a very few guys got their oats out and cropland work is at a standstill for everyone here in northeast Ohio.
I'm sure soon it will dry out and then the rush will be tough. Oats need to be in as fast as possible followed by corn. I don't plant soybeans but I'm sure the guys who do are starting to get tense.
By the time we get crops in the ground, haying season will be knocking very hard on the door!
Farming is not for the faint of heart!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-05-03 12:14:07 (CST)

Ralph, you are right: Farming is not for the faint of heart. After getting our potatoes planted, and having sown thousands of feet of spinach, various lettuces, peas and beets , for two weeks it was warm and dry around here,and nothing germinated, then the skies opened with veritable downpours. I got my outside cabbages planted though, too. Now there is a complete standstill - ground is just too soggy and more rain is on the way. I have 800 tomato plants and 3000 onions waiting to be set outside, but of course under these conditions there is no way to plant them.
Fortunately the hoop houses with their tomatoes are fine and we got some crops, like micro-greens, that we can harvest. Everything is going to be late.
But I do not want to complain, because I'd rather have the moisture and cool days than the heat and drought of the last couple of years by this time.
Mai kuehl und nass, fuellt dem Bauern Scheun und Fass.
Translation: May cool and wet, fills the farmer's barn and barrel.( If you rather have it rhyme, then let it end with fills the farmer's barn and net).

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2019-05-03 18:52:01 (CST)

I know nothing about farming. Just plowing the garden toby does that Courtney plants and weeds I can eat what grows, I sometimes can weed almost all the crops look like weeds to me i have to be careful if it is not corn, onions, I am lost. I can look at the cows and tell a lot about them or the horses.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-05-05 09:03:02 (CST)

K.C. you surely made me laugh - but I suppose you exaggerated a bit!
But you are right - corn and onions do look different!

BrianL says 2019-05-07 11:41:49 (CST)

Like everyone, we're waiting for the ground to dry to get seed in the ground. Of what was planted, a lot has likely drowned out. Oh well. Everyone's in the same... boat.

We grow produce but everyone around us grows corn or bean. And from what we've seen, everyone is going with corn this year. Although I was reading that due to late planting, some may be tempted to switch to beans and economists are shouting "DON'T!" There's no market for what's already in bins and the last thing that's needed is more surplus.

It may be a lot more labor, but I'm glad we grow vegetables. It may not be lucrative, but at least we don't start the season staring at a loss. Although based on all the flooded fields, maybe rice, or even trout, might be a better option!

K.C. Fox says 2019-05-10 20:44:04 (CST)

well it froze last night here hope it diden't hurt the grass to much. Dad always said if the grass was wet it diden't hurt as much as if the grass was dry, well it was wet last night. It was foggy yesterday they say in 90 days you will get moisture so we will see Aug 7

vince mautino says 2019-05-11 08:29:36 (CST)

We have had snow for the last three days. I'm no big farmer, but nothing will get planted until after Memorial Day a t least

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.