Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

4 years ago

rh comment count

I just read an article in the September 1952 edition of Successful Farming magazine about Red Dane cattle and was curious about what happened to them. I have never heard of them before. Does anyone have any experience with them? These were in Michigan I believe.

NoraWI says 2019-04-22 05:46:26 (CST)

From what I see on Google, Red Dane cattle are widespread in Europe, especially in the Eastern European countries where they have been used extensively to improve local breeds. In the U.S. after their introduction in the '50s, interest waned in favor of Angus and Herefords plus a few other breeds such as Simmenthals. I have no idea why. It just happened.

4 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Mike Rock says 2019-04-22 12:51:09 (CST)

There were a very few in North Dakota in 1961. Our neighbour to the south had a few. We had black and red Angus. We got some bootleg Charolais semen from a Canadian, passed across the border at the Peace Garden..... literally canes of semen from one tank and hand to the other side, hand to tank.
It was neat being out on a morning with ground fog, on horseback....you could see the backs of the calves, red and black okay, the little white guys were just ghosts...

K.C. Fox says 2019-04-26 20:44:56 (CST)

I had never heard of them before. I knew a friend that had red roan durm cows that they crossed with long horns in the 20's.

K.C. Fox says 2019-04-26 20:57:09 (CST)

some of there crosses with Exotic cattle just created Exotic head aches. Simmental and liminazsen not sure on the spelling of those 2. I know that they pulled a lot of calves and did a lot of C sections Big Hereford cows didn't have the calves normal Knee put a lot of leg under a cow they were as tall as a Horse and could really run it took a good horse to catch them. I like longhorn,Hereford and Angus cross for a good doing calf and cow they will survive on as little feed as any and still give you a calf.

Koty says 2019-04-28 11:25:56 (CST)

Here's another.... BueLingo. The gentleman who with NDSU created this breed went to High School in Sheldon, ND with my mother in the 1930's. Anyone out there ever deal with this breed? Belted.

NoraWI says 2019-04-29 06:53:43 (CST)

I rent out 120 of my 160 acres of pasture. Over the last 30+ years I have had many "exotic" breeds here, not all of them newer. Among the most noteworthy are:

Piedmontese, an ancient Italian breed,
known for their double muscling.
Angus and Herefords, of course,
equal in beef quality but with the Angus Association
making a big effect with their marketing.
Murray Greys, very calm and beautiful with shiny coats
in many shades of light to dark brown Australian Angus.
Short Horns, double use cows.
Pinzgauer, a small and gentle European breed
with a gorgeous coat outlined in white.
And a great many crosses of all the above.

Here in Wisconsin, formerly a great dairy state and now, sadly declining, farmers use beef bulls to produce smaller calves out of their mostly Holstein and Jersey cows. That produces quite a few beef crossed cows that are put into beef production as well.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.