Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

5 years ago

rh comment count

Anybody who has ever used these old frameless style oliver plows knows they're dangerous as a cocked gun. These plows are notorious for turning over in the furrow with no warning to mind you. Well, I had it in my mind to start some spring plowing the other day and decided to use the old oliver riding plow instead of walking due to some back trouble I've been having. We greased it up good and drug it to the edge of the field. I eased up on the seat and called on the horses with a quiver in my voice fearing what might be ahead in my near future. Sure enough, on the 4th round the furrow wheel dropped in a low spot and tossed me in the plowed ground. My wife, who was standing to the side, rushed to help me and get the plow back on the wheels. She brushed me off and said to be careful. Once again I climbed back on and started back across the field. When I came to the end of the furrow my horses turned to the left instead of the right. Again, it tosses me to the ground. My wife comes running to help and says, I told you to be careful. I mumbled under my breath and walk behind the plow back to the furrow. I climbed on, pushed the lever forward lowering the plow to the ground and called on the horses. They take about three steps and you guessed it, I'm in the dirt again. I slid out from under it expecting Barbara to be on her way to help again. When I finally see her, she's just standing there shaking her head. She just laughed and said "why don't you jump off and wave to the crowd next time if you're only going to ride 8 seconds." The plow is still laying in the field and I'm lying in the bed with the smell of muscle rub stinking up the room. Has anyone ever tamed one of these plows? Every story I hear about them ends the same way. I sure am looking forward to getting back behind my walking plow.

hag says 2019-03-20 07:29:04 (CST)

I have never used a plow like the one pictured but your story sure tickled me... I'm definitely laughing with and not at you because I have had my share of those days myself!!! I hope you ain't too stoved up and have better luck with the rest of your plowing

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-03-20 10:13:55 (CST)

Well,I am not laughing, I am just glad you came out of it without major harm. Also good that the horses didn't get spooked, they could have run.
I know nothing about these kinds of plows, but quite frankly, I wouldn't use anything that is prone to tip over. I am using a trailer plow now behind the forecart.

Dan in Illinois says 2019-03-20 21:20:04 (CST)

So is that plow for sale? Hope you’re doing well.

JerryHicks says 2019-03-21 05:45:28 (CST)

I'm pretty sure that's the same plow that rolled me in the garden a time or two. It can happen before you know it, that's for sure. I have yet to fall off my walking plow and have it roll over me, but knowing my luck, it could probably happen. Supposedly that Oliver is capable of plowing square corners. I wasn't able to do that either. I did start getting off and walking when I turned it, and walking behind it going to the field. In fact, I never got on it until I was ready to drop the plow. Are the newer riding plows less prone to tipping over? Or does a tongue make all the difference?

Klaus Karbaumer says 2019-03-21 09:00:28 (CST)

Jerry, I saw a picture of a new White Horse riding plow (can't remember where and am too lazy right now to go and look through all possible sources) which appeared to be rather safe: low point of gravity, the seat not high above the pole, but at same level with entry from the side. If our farm could vindicate the costs I would buy it, but I am not he kind of guy who buys stuff without considering its price in proportion to the expected gain.
I am kind of changing my farming practices a bit, reducing plowing where I can by replacing it with disking. The number of torrential rains we are experiencing has definitely gone up and so has the risk of erosion.

Chad says 2019-03-21 20:55:37 (CST)

Dan, this plow is definitely for sale. I don't imagine you would want to drive to Nc to pick it up though.

Jerry, yes this is the plow we swapped on. I welded a new shin on it and had a machine shop make bushings for the wheels and put grease fittings on it. I should have had some training wheels mounted on it at the same time. Our local pioneer dealer came down with one of his new foot lift plows the year before last to demonstrate it to a few local folks. He was trying to get everything adjusted as he entered the field. When the furrow wheel dropped into the furrow it also turned over with him. I believe it was more of an operator error than the plow though. They can all be dangerous to some extent I guess. We're transplanting tomatoes and peppers Saturday morning and planning on heading back to the field. With my old Oliver 40 walking plow of course! Everyone be careful this spring and keep us posted on what's going on.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.