Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

5 years ago

rh comment count

This isn't intended to be a political question. How are you guys doing on corn or bean prices given current issues with China. And given that the President said he was going to pay farmers to help with the problem.

Are you going to get close to break even? or a long way off?

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-11-27 10:44:09 (CST)

Koty, I am not a row crop farmer, even though all my vegetables typically grow in rows, but given the context you are writing from, the question about the corn and bean prices always contains political connotations. There is no corn and bean, as well as wheat , rice and cotton agriculture that wouldn't be connected to politics.
On RFD-TV it was reported that this year's corn and bean production sets new records and that farmers reacted to the low bean price with the intention to grow more corn next year! As if the corn price was high enough to be able to stand even higher production.Go figure.
Reminds me of the well-known definition of insanity " Keep doing the same thing and expect different results".

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

BrianL says 2018-11-28 16:32:10 (CST)

We don't grow either but nearly all our neighbors do. I think a lot of folks with bin space are sitting on the grain hoping prices go up to somewhere close to reasonable.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-11-29 09:37:16 (CST)

I am not a row crop farmer, even though all the vegetables we produce for our restaurant customers are grown in rows, but Koty, your question is in a sense a political question: Look at the farm bill and you'll see that corn, beans, wheat, rice and cotton, in short all the agricultural commodities depend on the government! RFD-TV reports that due to the bad bean prices farmers intend to grow more corn next year! Corn prices are not great now, but what will that do to them next year? Go figure where the wisdom is here! As one of the local farmers quipped to me at our Farm Bureau meeting" We farmers are really good at competing with each other"!
I had written a similar post earlier, but obviously it got lost in the digital universe.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.