Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

• latest reply 5 days ago

1 month ago

rh comment count

My daughter and I are trying to convert over to mostly registered cattle. Brahmans. We sure like those ears and the hump. We are in the south, so they should do good. At the present we have 1 bull 2 cows , 1 yearly bull calf and 2 heifers. Watched a sale in the deep south on the computer they had a 11 month old heifer, fetched 12,000 a donor cow 10,500 others were 2500 + for yearly heifers. We went to a sale North of there 2 weeks later 1 yearly heifer got 9,900. Our commercial cattle prices now are pitiful. It doesn't cost anymore to feed good registered cattle and to get close to those prices, even if I have to drive a bit farther to the sale. Sometimes I think folks are trying to shut the little guy out of business.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-05-18 10:46:13 (CST)

What? People(who exactly?) are ' trying to shut the little guy out of business' ! Are you serious? In this country?
Welcome to the world of capitalism, in which profit making without concern for the people who are affected is the norm.
As far as agriculture goes, Wendell Berry in his book ' The Unsettling of America' wrote about the effects of our economic system on rural populations already in the 1970s. But his voice wasn't heard, not even among the very same populations who were affected most.

31 days ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Scott S says 2018-06-05 22:15:37 (CST)

I have also seen people lose a lot of money growing registered cattle. The cattle that sell for a lot of money also cost a lot of money for the latest genetics. To get a good name you have to be willing to cull the ones that don't make the cut and those will just go for market price. It also takes years of honest work to get a good name. Even if a calf is put together real nice but it has a rotten attitude you need to cull it, I think this cull is the hardest to make. I think with complete honesty with your client base and years of hard work you can make it work. It won't be a cake walk. I wish you the best of luck.

13 days ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2018-06-13 07:39:29 (CST)

beware of just another FAD, CRAZE between two or more purebred livestock dealers is all it takes to run the market wild. It is like the purebred bull men getting $10000. out of their bulls and what they cant sell at those prices sell like regular cattle as STEERS at the sale barns. Good luck in your venture.

5 days ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The June | July 2018
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available at
Tractor Supply Stores
throughout the US.
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Read's Suffolks &
Texas Field Day

Two shows filmed
in Texas with draft