Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

5 years ago

rh comment count

Today was one of those days that just started all wrong, and nothing seemed to go right all morning. Dogs were escaping, items were misplaced, an appointment went too long, kids didn’t follow instructions, completing one task was dependent on another task, which was dependant on yet another....I’m sure you know the type. The afternoon agenda involved hitching my team to a sulky plow for the first time to turn a patch of sod. Based on the morning’s events, I was, admittedly nervous. I’ve plowed with an experienced team, but I’ve never started a furrow, never broken virgin clay ground, and never used a team that didn’t have a clue. I also had hip surgery earlier this year, and that hip is pretty weak for controlling the plow pedal.

Praise God, my afternoon changed the course of my day! All the practice the mares and I have gotten driving straight rows in the market garden on my Homesteader paid off. They drove a nearly perfect first furrow, and 3.5 hours later, the girls had plenty of life left after plowing up a 50 x 100 ft patch. It took a few rounds for my furrow horse to figure it out, but she did and by the end, all our lines were consistently fairly straight. At one point, one of the mares rubbed the bridle off one of her ears, and started to react. When I saw the problem, she listened to my cues, and waited while hubby came out to help. Crisis averted, we went back to work. I am so excited, and thrilled to end the day on a good note. I love how getting behind my team, slowing down a bit, communing with nature for a few hours, and accomplishing a challenging task can really turn a mood around!

Dusty 4R says 2018-05-05 08:15:02 (CST)

May I respond to your bridle issue? I have redesigned my head stalls after the Australian version so that the throat latch sits back a couple more inches, then the horse can't rub it off. I have a belgain with thick mane hair and meat on the poll that it is really "round" , this makes a bridle easy to roll off. I have leather shops build these, very simple, and have no problems. I can't count the pictures and videos I have seen with teams, some in parades, with at least one horse has the bridle half off and the driver doesn't even know it! One such picture is in the DHJ , the driver is on his wagon just waving at the crowd having a blast while about to have a wreck. If you want to see one let me know, you can modify yours. Good luck.

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Dan in Illinois says 2018-05-06 09:18:36 (CST)

Looks like all the hard work with your horses paid off. If that pair hasn’t plowed before they are doing wonderful. Hope all goes well with your clay, I seem to fight mine from time to time.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-05-06 10:42:05 (CST)

I think you can be quite satisfied, Danielle, especially that you averted greater trouble, like a runanaway, with the horse that rubbed off the bridle.

Redgate says 2018-05-07 08:03:33 (CST)

Dusty 4R, I would be very interested in seeing a photo of how you modified yours. I never had this problem with my first, Belgian team, but this team has had the issue happen a couple of times now. I cinch that throatlatch as snug as I can and still have it comfortable, but still. You described it perfectly....it just “rolls” off that inside ear when she bumps the other horse. I have an Australian style riding bridle and love it. I’m just not sure how to modify a driving one.

Mike Rock says 2018-05-07 18:13:52 (CST)

These are similar.

Rural Heritage A Bridle Your Horse Can't Rub Off
www.ruralheritage.com/new_rh_website/resources/.../stay_put_bridle.shtml
Jun 16, 2016 - A Bridle Your Horse Can't Rub Off. by Barb Lee. The reports of tragic deaths as a result of bridles coming off in 2010 prompted me to develop an idea I've had for a bridle which is much more difficult for a horse to rub off. To make this “safety bridle” more appealing, it had to be as similar in appearance to ...

These WORK!! :)

God bless

Dusty 4R says 2018-05-08 18:17:08 (CST)

The design I use is similar to the barb Lee design but I got mine from the man from snowy river movie. Where the brow band meets the heads tall there is a ring, however I am traveling and won't be home until Saturday so can't post a picture right now. This is from the Australian version also. These are easy to make, I encourage it. Thanks.

Uncle Joe says 2018-05-08 19:14:01 (CST)

This is one of the photos in Barb’s article that is on this site and Mije referred to. www.ruralheritage.com/new_rh_website/resources/harness_tack/stay_put_bridle.shtml

smith says 2018-05-10 22:57:43 (CST)

It sure sounds like your day was a roaring success to me ! Sounds like a great team to me .smith

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.