Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

I am hoping some of you can give me advice on a starting point. I am looking for a small (40 +/_) acre remote farm . Preferably with the original buildings. Roughly 1/3 tillable. To farm with horse/tractor power. I had Appalachia in mind but the where isn't really that important. I have farmed all my life in South eastern Indiana. I really don't know how to start looking without just randomly wandering around the country and hoping to accidentally run in to what I am looking for. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dusty 4R says 2018-03-11 07:46:26 (CST)

Try Tri-state livestock news, belle fouche sd paper classified. This paper reaches and covers many states, also check the Torrington wyo area realtors for your size plots. This is what I'm familiar with, what do you want to grow or do? Dry land or water? Good luck.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-03-11 09:50:50 (CST)

There are a good number of farm finding companies on the Internet.
arch?p=farm+real+estate+companies&fr=yset_chr_hp_mktgsem-s&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-03-12 09:05:13 (CST)

www.landflip.com/

Sorry, I wanted to make that a bit easier for you! Good luck in your search!

Plainsman says 2018-03-12 09:16:14 (CST)

www.landwatch.com/ It may not be the best, but it's sure a place to start. Pick your state, your region, then price, size, etc. I think there are several others but this is one that just came to mind. I'm guessing their prices are all top dollar asking but you can deal with that.
Good Luck!

Bryan

Ossahatchee says 2018-03-13 10:32:25 (CST)

Georgia's Market Bulletin just published it's farmland for sale issue. You can get information on subscribing here.

georgia.gov/popular-topic/farmers-consumers-market-bulletin

Good Luck,

Forrest

JerryHicks says 2018-03-13 16:37:57 (CST)

I'd say there are farms in my area that might suit you. I'm in Fleming county, Kentucky. Several smaller farms for sale in the area. Several smaller Amish farms for sale as well.

Redgate says 2018-03-15 08:36:16 (CST)

Hi Steve, you could make the process a great deal easier by narrowing your locations based on your goals. If you are wanting to pasture horses and raise livestock, the Midwest west of the Missippi is a good place to strait. If you want to grow lots of produce, forget going out west, unless you plan to invest serious money in irrigation equipment. If you don't like picking rocks out of your tillable soil, that will eliminate most of MO, and several other areas. Northeast Texas is nice, if you mind fire ants and Africanized bees. The northeast is nice if you can handle short growing seasons and lots of snow. I've had the blessing to live in many states around the U.S., and each has its pros and cons. It's really does boil down to your goals, plans to expand, etc. Really sit and think about self-sufficient you want to be, whether you want a location near a major hub for sales to consumers or farmers markets, how many animals you might graze or house (which will determine how much forage you need), and so forth. I think you'll find this will help tremendously in narrowing you down to a state or two.

BrianL says 2018-03-16 07:47:01 (CST)

Like other posters have already said, the first step is figuring out where it is you want to live. Everything from topography, soil and seasonal weather to distance from market to closeness to friends and family all play a part. I think it's also worth considering the cultural differences of regions too. Since your interest is in small scale farming (like pretty much everyone on this forum) do you want to be in a community where that's the norm or the exception? There are pros and cons with both. Also, are there cultural elements of any areas that appeal to you? While farmers, especially small scale ones, will welcome a new farmer to their community, there are differences between living in the Midwest or Appalachia or New England or Deep South or Colorado etc.

Once you decide on a region or two where you think you might like to live, I think in this day and age most farms for sale are listed on one of the many real estate websites, be it Landwatch or Land and Farm or even Realtor.com. While the last one is more focused on residential it does ostensibly list anything that's a MLS, so if you plug in a town you can select parameters like budget, house size (which eliminates empty land) acreage (20 acres or more and it really makes a short list) along with a search radius (I think the maximum is 25 miles) you can scan a region pretty quickly. Once you narrow your focus to a specific locale, word of mouth can help too. Sometimes that unearths the folks who are thinking of selling but haven't officially decided to take the step. Good luck!

NoraWI says 2018-03-18 09:30:25 (CST)

You got some very good advice already. I want to emphasize an aspect of buying real estate that covers all kinds. And that is regional differences in values. You have to familiarize yourself very well with what land values are or you will risk overpaying substantially. Realtors won't clue you in. You have to observe the asking and actual selling prices over a period of time. Hard to do when the area is far from where you are presently.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.