Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

• latest reply 6 years ago

6 years ago

rh comment count

We got 5 or 6 pickup loads of firewood to cut and deliver for a couple that can't cut there own. Toby and I are going to cut it Saturday. It is supposed to warm up some over the weekend.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-01-13 10:11:17 (CST)

After a few milder days we ,too, are in the single digit temperatures for the mornngs. My woodshed is full and we have wood stacked up on all the porches around the house.
The goats do not like to come out of their pen when it is that cold, also because we had freezing rain followed by a bit of snow and they look at me incredulously as if saying " You can't be serious about going out, can y ou?". And so I let them stay inside. The downside is, I have more manure to clean out once it's warmer, the upside is, I have more manure to spread when Ineed it for production. The horss go in and out as they like, they stay mostly outside, therefore I have much less horse manure in winter than in summer. I'll try to gather some once it is not frozen any more.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2018-01-15 19:14:06 (CST)

I have a small pasture where the horses grazed last fall. I wanted to scatter their droppings, but ran out of time. They are frozen "rock like" piles right now. I guess I'll wait until spring, before the green up and try to get them spread out then. Of course, I don't have many other options! LOL

Dan in Illinois says 2018-01-17 07:38:16 (CST)

My job has been extremely busy so my fire wood pile is shrinking fast in the cold temps. I'm ready for a little moderation. We've been spoiled in Illinois for several years not having a real winter. This might be the new trend. Stay safe and warm.

K.C. Fox says 2018-01-17 09:23:11 (CST)

well It is a little warmer now might get up to 40 today. I will get some more wood cut today as I feed the cows yesterday. It is amazing how quick the wood pile goes down when it is below zero for a week. We got part of the wood cut for the other guy, he brought his pickup down and we loaded it & a trailer so about two more times and he will be done. sure glade that I'm able to cut wood and work and not have to depend on others to help me get my work done. I would rather help someone who needs it than do my own work.

Dan in Illinois says 2018-01-17 16:04:22 (CST)

KC you're right helping others has good feeling that's hard to beat.

Mike Rock says 2018-01-17 19:36:20 (CST)

Hey Ralph, ever get in a frozen road apple fight? My dad talked about it....he was born 1914. Sounded like a fun idea until the neighbor kid, Jimmy, got a 'wrist rocket' slingshot. Darn, getting hit with a slightly subsonic frozen horse turd can really cross your eyes!! He hit me right behind the ear!!

Have fun....... tell the kids how much fun it is and stand back!!!

God bless all.

Next day three of us had home made slingshots :))

K.C. Fox says 2018-01-21 09:50:39 (CST)

I cut and got in another big pickup box load of wood yesterday I got most of the wood split at least enough for 3-4 days. I am behind on my wood seem's like cutting and splitting as I burn it this year we are supposed to get 6-12" of snow after the rain this afternoon. We will see what comes, everyone keep dry, warm and safe. My way is not the only way just my way how ever you do it works for you.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.