Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

Mr. Ralph Rice, whom Gene Logsdon calls the " hardest working small farmer" he knows, in the foreword to Ralph's book 'Cultivating Memories' , is also one of most efficient, foreward thinking ones I know. Ralph, I watched the episode on RH TV today, and even though we got impressive glimpses into your farm at earlier times I cannot be but impressed even more with the way everything is so cleverly designed to be most productive and labor-saving on one hand, but also fostering animal welfare on the other. This is a model farm if there ever is to be one! Thank you, Joe, for bringing it to us.

Uncle Joe says 2018-01-10 18:26:59 (CST)

Thanks for your comments about Ralph’s farm, Klaus. Ralph is a great example of what can be accomplished with good planning, thoughtful designs, persistence, and a reverence for the land and the legacy to which he belongs as a small scaled diversified farmer. He is capable, good natured, creative and above all, a responsible steward. We will have more installments on his farm plan in April and May.

Joe

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2018-01-11 07:59:04 (CST)

Klaus, thank you for your kind words. I hope that by opening up my farm and giving folks a glimpse of my farming style, I can inspire others. I also hope that I can show consumers that there really is a better way to raise food. In other words, I hope to give small farmers a voice.
I truly believe that if we are to survive in this world of corporate advertisers, we must educate people. Many folks, especially young families, really want to connect with a farmer. They want safe, wholesome food. If we as small farmers make those connections, we can establish a sound customer base that will ensure our farm's survival into the next generation.
I am humbled by your words. You sir, know what it takes to run a small draft powered farm.
Thanks to you too Uncle Joe for making this all possible.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-01-13 12:13:33 (CST)

I am looking forward to the next episodes. Once we have seen all of them, Joe, that would make a very good instructive CD, I think.
Ralph, by nature I am not very envious of others, but I do wish I could have that flat ground of yours. Here one barely walks a hundred steps ere the ground starts sloping off in one way or another.

BrianL says 2018-01-14 17:41:35 (CST)

I'm actually envious of those with a little topographic variety. On our farm the biggest hill is the compost pile!

Keep up the good work Ralph. We're all proud of you and you're upholding and perpetuating some very important ideals.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2018-01-15 19:06:45 (CST)

Thank you BrianL

I will just say that farming on the flat also has some disadvantages. The number one problem can be drainage. This, just as with highly erodible soils, is a consideration that requires good farming practices. In my case, I must not work the soil when its wet...no matter what. It takes great restraint some times.
I do like it when hauling wagons, baling hay and jobs such as those. I don't need brakes on any farm equipment, a simple whoa is enough.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.