Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

• latest reply 6 years ago

6 years ago

rh comment count

I interrupted disking this afternoon to watch the RH film about Meadowland. Although I had seen it before it was really enjoyable to see it again. Question: Ralph, do you have your horses back home again or are they still at your Amish friend's place? Seeing them in all their splendor I can't imagine not having them at home for even a week. I sure know that I couldn't stand it to have mine not within eyesight.
Well, and now I am going to go out again to do some more field work, need to prepare for the next crop.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-08-08 23:08:39 (CST)

Klaus, Yes, my horses are back home. They spent 30 days at my Amish friend's house. He took good care of them, but man did I ever miss them. I went to see them three times, only missing the first week of my recovery. Two of the trips to see them caused me great discomfort....right up until I got to see and touch them.
Now, as I continue to recover, my wife helps with chores. The horses are home in their pasture and barn. They spend the days inside the cool barn away from the biting flies. We turn them out in the evenings to graze.
It is much better to see, feel and smell by equine pals!
My youngest son will start hitching them this week for mostly just wagon work, but we have field work coming fast for spelt planting and fall plowing. I hope to be healed enough to help with both jobs.
Thanks for your kind words about our video!

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-08-09 09:23:05 (CST)

Great ! I wish you have a speedy and steady recovery, enjoy the farm and be careful all along the way, Ralph !

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-08-11 18:46:42 (CST)

Klaus,
Thank you for the well wishes. Having the horses here at home, in their stalls and pasture is actually helping me heal I think.
My son will hitch tomorrow. I get to walk around them as he harnesses up. I'll get a short ride on the wagon, even hold the lines and drive. I think my horses do better when I'm around...and I know I do better when they are!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.