Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

We decided to introduce our newer Spotted Draft mare team to logging this morning. They are fairly inexperienced in general, so we have been working on a lot of desensitizing, new sounds, getting out into places and basic farm work. We started today with the noise of the logging tongs dragging the gravel. Once settled, we did several light, short pulls to let them get the idea. Next was bigger, heavier logs and a bit more precision. Finally, we headed down into the ravine and backwoods to bring some bigger logs up to the lumber mill. That required not just weight, but a lot of uphill pulling, creek crossing, mud and gravel surfaces, passing the current pig and goat paddocks, and so forth.

These mares never fail to amaze and impress me at every stage! The little mare wound up being the power house of the two. Man, she leaned in and pulled with all she had whenever the going got tough. The bigger Percheron-type mare is always the calm, easy, steady one. She pulls well, but holding back a load is her gift. I have to stay after her to keep up with other mare when pulling. They both have hearts of gold, and you can tell they really try. I just fall more in love with them, and the new gelding every day!

Here's a short video for fun, of one of their first pulls with a chain instead of tongs....m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpjopf8hNUw

By the way, I know the pine log in one photo is backwards. It was in a tight spot and just needed a short pull, so we didn't worry about it.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-07-27 08:20:11 (CST)

Very good.
Horses are awesome in the woods

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-07-27 14:43:55 (CST)

I really like your approach to new tasks for the horses, Danielle!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-07-27 14:56:15 (CST)

The load for the horses, by the way, will be lighter , if the logs are closer to the double-tree, because there will be a lift effect!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.