Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

So.... I live in North Western Wisconsin. For the past 3 weeks I've watched a 35 acre plot of woods, be clear cut, and the stumps pulled out of the ground. The wood has been removed, but the stumps are in wind rows that I expect will be burned in the near future. I've been told by a friend who is a Professor Emeritus of Forestry that this is probably at least a $2,000 per acre effort.

So... they are creating new farm land that didn't exist before. Is this a logical way to create new farm land??? The cost concerns me.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-06-26 19:37:21 (CST)

Not to be pedantic, but I count only 20 replies, whereas on top it notes 21, but there is nothing on the next page. I would have liked to read that one.

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Uncle Joe says 2017-06-26 19:59:47 (CST)

Well, I am not sure why the count is off. All the posts have been approved so should be on the list.

Joe

Koty says 2017-07-01 17:26:47 (CST)

Just got the word from a neighbor of the property. A young couple bought the farm buildings associated with this property, and are creating new farm land.

Dusty 4R says 2017-07-03 19:12:03 (CST)

This may be good news, maybe they're horse farmers or want to be. If I lived close I'd give them a team to start out with. Also it may be the only way they could afford to get started. Good luck.

NoraWI says 2017-07-05 06:37:55 (CST)

I can think of many cheaper ways to get started in farming. If I moved next door to you, would you give ME a team? :)

Dusty 4R says 2017-07-05 20:46:13 (CST)

Sure Nora, it's something I believe in and I have to support that. I have a couple friends that use teams the way we use them and drafts are really high right now so we bred several mares this year and one or both of these guys will get a free foal come next fall. I can't see this go by the wayside because they can't afford to update their teams. Breeding seems to be the cheapest way to go right now as my grass is cheap.

On the land issue undeveloped land is cheaper .keep us posted.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-07-06 16:58:29 (CST)

Dusty, hats off to your big-hearted generosity!
You are right, draft horse prices have increased tremendously.
In Jamesport I saw more foals this spring than in a number of years before as a consequence.

Koty says 2017-07-24 16:16:45 (CST)

Trying to bring this to a close. Spoke to someone who knew what was going on. The owner paid $6,400 to rent the excavator for a month, and drove it himself, putting the piles of stumps and roots in place. I was told that the wood brought in enough to cover those costs. So in the end the wood paid for the new farm land.

That's it! Koty

Dusty 4R says 2017-07-26 09:21:54 (CST)

So, that's 183$ an acre to clear the ground. What's he going to do now, farm or graze it? What'd he give for it? Just curious.

Koty says 2017-07-28 17:42:34 (CST)

Unless I meet the guy, I'll never be able to answer your question. I'll try to find him and answer in the future.

Koty says 2018-01-09 14:40:48 (CST)

It's been a while since anyone talked about this topic. Driving by the property this morning, they spent the night burning all of the massive piles of stumps. Be interesting to see what comes next. The fires are still burning.

Koty says 2018-06-19 08:55:45 (CST)

An on going saga...... The massive windrows of dead tree root balls were burned in January on a day that was about zero. volume has been reduced considerably, but the rows are still about 3 feet high. It's now June, 2018 and they have planted corn around the windrows. Guess they will get a crop this year, 2 years after harvesting the trees. Koty

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2018-06-21 10:04:26 (CST)

Koty, in our area one can even this year see trees and hedge rows still being bulldozed to plant more soybeans and corn despite commodity prices not even covering production costs. Go figure!

5 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Feb/Mar24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Taylor Johnson Fjords
Norweigian Fjords and
customized truck for
his logging business.