Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

• latest reply 6 years ago

6 years ago

rh comment count

I had just come in from three hours of raking hay with my Percherons and plugged in to the show about Ralph Rice. Too bad, Ralph, that we are so far apart. We could put our horses in a five abreast or a four-up, and most people would have to look twice which horses are whose.
I like the way how they stand quietly why you hook up the huge log. Do those hooks ever come out during the pull ? And do you hitch up those three in summer the same way? How do you keep them apart so that they don't overheat without jockey sticks?

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-06-17 06:12:20 (CST)

Thank you Klaus for your nice comments.
I do hitch 3 and even 4 abreast with the bit to bit configuration. They go to the end of the line. In the video that you watched, we were in a narrow section of the sap trail. They sort of squeeze together thinking they will brush the edges, but they probably would not. When I say they go to the end of the line, that is how they spread out. I can adjust the lines if needed to give them more room.
I agree your horses and mine would make a dandy team. I have included a photo of my horses coming to greet me this morning. The two horses in the middle are my geldings Hoss and Knight. Duke is the closest in the photo and Abby is on the far right. They are a beautiful sight for this old farmer!

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2017-06-17 10:19:24 (CST)

Ralph,

I am way jealous, mine are easy to walk up to and catch but they rarely come meet me.

Todd

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-06-17 13:51:27 (CST)

What a joy to behold.
But , Ralph , you didn't answer my question about the hook you hammered into the log. I was amazed that it didn't come out when the log was pulled over rough ground.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-06-17 20:45:31 (CST)

Todd, that problem is very easy to solve: Mine come running whenever I call them, because they have experienced that they always get a little bit of oats in their buckets when they come into the barn.

Todd NE WY says 2017-06-19 17:44:17 (CST)

Klaus,

I will try that, thanks.

Todd

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2017-06-20 20:17:45 (CST)

My horses always get a small reward, especially when young. Now, even when on pasture, they get a small amount of speltz grain in their stalls. It keeps everybody going to their own place. Keeps the confusion at a minimum. It makes chore time fun.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.