Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

6 years ago

rh comment count

my son moved to Holyoke CO last fall. He is going to Denver to have another hernia operation Dr says this op is different than the old ones and if everything goes like it should he should be able to go back to work in 3-4 months. I'm going out I guess just for support for him, the one daughter is going with me. Bev is staying home to take care of things. it will be out and right back as I'm still calving. fixing fence and wind mills for the summer. put in 2 new 20' tanks and set a bunch of post. the fence builders got done with the last mile and half of new fence between me and the neighbor to the west 4 miles in 3 years 4" tops hedge post and 4 barbed wires I got one more mile of new fence along the Hy that I'm going to put back in might get done this year. then I can pasture the meadow after haying it. it cost so much to put in new fence. the fence builders charge $1.00 per foot if you supply everything so I will do that mile myself. the best to all of you on here .

NoraWI says 2017-04-28 07:41:06 (CST)

Wish your son the best of results. Hernias are a common hazard of farming of all sorts. I had one repaired over 15 years ago and the results were good. But men tend to want to go back to the way they did things before, way soon after the fix. He will have to heed his surgeon's instructions or he will have a recurrence.

Fence building is extremely expensive. The fences on my farm were over 100 years old when I bought 30 years ago. It took a few years of having to track escaped cattle before I made it my purpose in life to rebuild every perimeter fence. Finally got it done 10 years later, doing one segment each year. Then rebuilt most of the interior fencing. Now am down to fixing what nature breaks each year. Big job! And expensive!

6 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-04-28 09:29:54 (CST)

K.C., I had a hernia operation some 14 years ago and it took me a while till could lift heavy things again. Your son will have to be careful and heed the doctor's instructions , just like Norma said.
You have quite an undertaking head of you. I know you have the stamina to face such a huge task. Good luck!

Wes Lupher says 2017-04-28 11:59:04 (CST)

Hope that fixes him up.

Fencing is very expensive. I do my own and it's still a lot of $$$. Very lucky to have timber and a green treat plant right close. Posts are not as expensive as I've seen in many places.
Biggest expense for me was a new post pounder a few years ago. Really hard pounding in this country, but doable. Digging post holes in this rock isn't fun.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.