Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Latest Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I found this video by happenstance : Debardage Professionnel Extreme
I must say these French loggers with their horses really impressed me.

G.D.Rose says 2017-02-23 06:56:16 (CST)

I also enjoyed this video when found. I have found several videos of horses be worked from other countries, I noticed was your Western Europeans seems to be expert horsemans. I found a couple of videos of haying and logging in Romania , and Transylvania can't say they are good horsemen. I do know these are the same country it's was just how the videos was labeled.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-02-23 08:56:46 (CST)

I found on several other videos that not only are these French loggers very good horsemen, but that their horses - the Ardennais and Brabants- are extremely well-suited for that kind of work: very muscular, stocky, short-legged, and it seems of imperturbable temperament!

NoraWI says 2017-02-24 06:58:52 (CST)

Klaus, your description of the horses sounds as though you are describing the Suffolk Punch. The Suffolk Punch were bred for farm work and excel at it. For other uses such as pulling carriages, not so much. Not that they can't do it. They can and do. But they don't have the flair that carriage horses have. I remember the comment one horseman made about my Suffolk Agatha. He said that she was the dullest horse he had ever seen. But Agatha had stamina and would do field work for hours on end without complaint. That is what she was bred for. I always believed that people should pay more attention to the purpose of a breed (whether horse or dog) and their own needs, and use them accordingly.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2017-02-24 11:03:17 (CST)

Yes, Nora, that description would apply to Suffolk Punches, too. The Ardennais , though, and also the Trait du Nord of France, as well as the Brabants of Belgium have even sturdier legs than the S.P. The latter ones are clean legged, generally, while the former ones can be heavily "feathered'. Too bad that either one of these breeds is hardly available in North America.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.