Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

warmed up to45-50 today it stayed overcast all morning and tried to rain, about 4:30 sun came out we got 3/4" of rain. about dark the wind came up it is blowing 20-30 mph. I look for snow by morning. Cows had 3 calves during the cold and saved all 3 without any help from me.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-26 20:25:21 (CST)

K.C. we also had big warm-up, yesterday it was 60 degrees, today a bit cooler after the rain-storm last night. Everything is soggy. But I finally got my tornado shelter for my horses in place : I had bought a sturdy overseas shipping container and today we pushed it in a part of the barn. It sits about two feet in the ground and the part of the barn where we put it is constructed with heavy utility poles four feet in the ground.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

BrianL says 2016-12-27 08:14:32 (CST)

Klaus- I'd be curious to hear how your horses will respond to a tornado shelter. Being flight animals, I'd be concerned they might injure themselves in the event of a tornado since their instinct might be to run when they sensed danger.

As you know, we live smack dab in the middle of tornado alley. We even had an EF-3 start, quite literally on top of our farm. We only lost an 80' tree and missed our home and barn. The twister then skipped over the ground a couple times before it burrowed down, leaving a path of destruction starting about 1/2 mile to our southeast. Once we emerged from the cellar, our animals were happily grazing on the wet grass in the opened pastures.

Anyways, during that event, we left all the interior gates connecting the pastures open (with the exterior gates closed so they couldn't run away and get lost), figuring the equines knew better than we did and wanted to give them as much safe ground as we could.

Im not saying our solution is the "right" one, but I would be interested to know what others may have as their tornado plan.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-27 08:45:17 (CST)

Brian, the idea is that in case of a tornado warning the horses stay inside. That is why I integrated the container in the barn so that it is easy to lead them in what they consider a familiar place. They will be fed in there on occasion. My horses come running when I call them.
If one has enough pasture for them to roam on,which I don't have, just a few acres, they might be able to escape a tornado, but when they are confined to a relatively small area, I think I need to provide a solid shelter.

K.C. Fox says 2016-12-27 21:00:19 (CST)

May you never have to use your tornado shelter.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-28 09:06:08 (CST)

That's my hope. too, K.C., but it gives me a little peace of mind!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-12-31 09:01:12 (CST)

That is awesome Klaus. I hope that you never have to use it either. I understand completely the peace of mind it gives you. In 1985 a tornado hit a neighbor's barn. The barn fell onto cows in stantions. Many men worked with chainsaws to free the cows. They were caught with their heads down, pushed into the floor. I think all but one survived. It was a mess. I had that mental picture in mind when I built my new horse barn. I built it a bit stronger than needed perhaps, but I take comfort in hoping that I will never need to have worried in the first place.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.