Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Hi Folks, Wondering if anyone has the Pioneer bolt-on forecart sleigh runners or similar. I am wondering about the dimensions of the keel that I can see in ad pics. I bought a set of runner conversions (different design/maker) to bolt onto a meadowbrook type cart a few years ago and just had a chance to try them out. The concept is great, but the 3" wide steel runners require a keel or skeg to keep them tracking straight. It tends to slide sideways on a hill of any sort, and there's no level land on this place! We'll be taking the runners to a welder as soon as possible but are only guessing at dimensions. Has anyone got any ideas for me? thanks! Barb

Mike Rock says 2016-12-16 23:21:15 (CST)

Check out the diameter rod snow machines/snomobiles use. Should do the trick and your welder might have done replacements for those guys. Special steel helps them crossing highways.

God bless.

www.google.com/search?q=rod+to+use+for+snow+mobile+runners&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2016-12-17 07:46:28 (CST)

Barb,

I do not know the dimension you are looking for but the welder could weld either a piece of square tubing, probably 1", or a piece of angle iron with joined side down. It would look like a V on the bottom of the runner.

Todd

beelee says 2016-12-17 10:33:43 (CST)

Good stuff! Mike, I've been searching and searching for info about snowmobile runners, but it was your search that yielded info about depth. I've gotten some great ideas for a bolt-on blade made from angle iron that should allow me to vary the depth of the blade a little so I'm not locked in to a welded-on mistake. Unfortunately our snow is about to go away, so I don't know if I'll be able to try it out for another three years! :o) At least I'll be ready for next time! Thanks guys!!

Barb

Dan in Illinois says 2016-12-18 18:47:18 (CST)

Snow mobiles used about a 3/8" rod on the skis. I would be hesitant to use anything square because it will catch and cause multiple issues.

beelee says 2016-12-21 10:24:47 (CST)

I ended up bolting 1" angle iron "skegs" to the inside edges of the runners. They are 6" long and present 5/8" depth under the runners. This held the runners straight, but caused the fairly poorly designed runners to want to turn on the axle much stronger. They were "just" enough to prevent sliding sideways on a small, slightly tilted hill, and they ran a lot straighter on the flat. I think I solved the problem of the runners turning by repositioning the tether chains, but then ran out of snow. I think I've had enough sleighing "fun" for one winter...

Barb

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.