Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I suppose most of you know this but I will post just in case someone don't. If you have trouble starting a new fire in the cold stove put your wood as usual. If the wife uses a hair dryer you will have to buy her a new one. one sheet of news paper light the paper turn on the hair dryer on low and blow at the base of the fire most of the time you can have a fire going great in 2 minutes, if needed to be hotter just keep it going. I go to yard sales in the summer and buy 2-4 hair dryers for a few dollars as most have the heater not working. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all. thank you all for posting your way of doing different things, I have learned alot things that I didn't know.

NoraWI says 2016-12-15 07:36:06 (CST)

I use an inexpensive small bellows. Uses no electricity.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Billy Foster says 2016-12-15 10:27:49 (CST)

I light a bit of paper right where the stove pipe comes out of the stove. This warms the chimney and starts the draft.
Billy

JerryHicks says 2016-12-16 09:41:04 (CST)

I've used the hair dryer to warm the stove pipe to get the fire going. My wood cook stove has a clean out port just beneath the stove pipe, where it attaches to the back of the stove; I sometimes light some news paper there to get the pipe warmed up and drawing. Our winter has finally gotten here, had three days in a row at 10 and below, and the old cook stove has been humming. I've also taken up baking my own bread, and that lets me keep it pretty warm as well. Nothing like good wood heat!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-16 13:35:57 (CST)

Since it is important to move the cold air out of the pipe with a warm upward draft, the methods described above will work. They will work even better, if the wood-stove was picked out carefully among the models offered. Look for a stove that has a grid and beneath it a removable tray : Not only will it be easier to prevent the build-up of a lot of ashes in the burn chamber, it will also allow for air to fan the fire from beneath and therefore the smallest starting fire with paper and kindling wood will create enough of an updraft.
I have heard of people to help with a little kerosene, but since that propelled the stove into the room and even through the roof, that method might not warrant recommendation.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.