Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

My copy just arrived. I have only leafed through it. I see many things to read, in fact every single article! BUT the piece written by Unk Joe about the flood that had water three feet up his bedroom wall, made me pause to think, to reflect and to count my blessings.

Another good issue Joe. My hat is off to everybody involved.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-07 16:37:10 (CST)

WHAT !??!! Ralph, you already got your magazine, even though geographically you are much farther away from Cedar Rapids than I am? I live in the neighbor state! And in the alphabet you are behind me! Unbelievable!!!
Can't wait to get mine.
I only remember, Joe, when I asked about the flood that you told us you got everything out of the warehouse in time, but not that your own house was flooded. I am so sorry to read that.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Uncle Joe says 2016-12-07 19:51:07 (CST)

Ralph is talking about the flood of 2008 which significantly damaged our house. The flood two months ago did not rise as high and we were able to build a wall to prevent it from getting to our basement. The story is also on our website in the publisher's post.

www.ruralheritage.com/new_rh_website/publishers_post_main_green.shtml

Joe

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-09 08:19:55 (CST)

I got it yesterday and read it in one sitting. Wouldn't know which article I should mention before any others, all are interesting. But I had no idea that there were horse-powered boats and ferries. Two pictures stick out, showing oxen , one of them the enormously sized Nip, owned by Anna Knapp-Peck. I am so glad that she seems to show by example that here are ways to harness cattle that are more animal friendly than the ancient neck-yoke.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-12-09 14:47:27 (CST)

I am just waiting for the quietness of an evening to sit and read this issue. Winter has arrived here. So far so good, but chores take longer. I use more bedding...so I haul more manure. LOL

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-10 20:25:22 (CST)

Ralph, from your remarks I gather that you clean out stalls every day, is that right? Do you then haul out the fresh manure? I collect everything in a manure pile which I let sit till it turns into black compost before it gets spread on the fields. Since I let a young neighbor use our hay field during the winter to pasture his cows I don't have to fertilize that anymore, his cows do that for me, as he also feeds them big round bales out there. He doesn't have to pay anything and I don't have to divert the manure from the vegetable production where it pays me more.

K.C. Fox says 2016-12-12 00:58:11 (CST)

Got my magazine 3 days ago passed it on to the granddaughter & her boyfriend, he has a team of 950 lbs mules. I really liked the article about the ferry boats, I have never read or heard anything about horse powered boats before. now I will have to search and see what else that I can find out. Than you JOE you amaze me always coming up with something different for the magazine. looking forward to the next magazine. Thank you to everyone who subscribe to the magazine so Joe can keep publishing it.

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-12-14 18:39:56 (CST)

Klaus, not to hijack this thread, but yes I clean horse stalls at least once a day. The hog pens get cleaned every other day unless more is called for. I do as you do. I pile all of my manure in a dry stack area. That place is 16 x 24 feet with sides of 5 feet. I can compost all my manure. I empty the structure twice a year when conditions are good for spreading.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.