Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I have an amazing team that will do about anything or go pretty much anywhere I ask. They are geldings, age 6&7, though, so have their playful moments. The older one is mostly professional in harness, but the younger one can be a brat towards the older. If you recall our Belgian that injured his knee severely in the pasture a couple years ago... same one. He is just all play, so when in harness, I have to stay on him constantly. His focus is only about 10 seconds long, then he starts fiddling with things. I tried battery-powered Christmas lights one year to increase our visibility....he bit the cord into pieces. I tried bells, he bit them off. Just general playfulness. Mostly his antics are tolerable, but He has two issues that drive me nuts....

1. He turns his head to the inside and puts his lips on the yoke. This isn't a big deal in itself, but it makes his body arc to the outside, which then causes the team to drift. I have to constantly correct. His check is already on the tightest setting, and I would consider it fairly tight, but he has become a master of arching his neck to get his head where he wants it. His lips just barely reach the yoke, and he can't reach straight down, but he's figured out that inward turn, combined with pushing against the bit, gives just enough reach he can get his lips on the bar. What is the best way to stop this, or is it just something he has to outgrow? He works great in a plain o-ring snaffle, but I have wondered if getting him a "pacifier" or key- style bit would give him enough of a toy to keep him occupied to prevent some playfulness. Has anyone tried these?

2. The other thing...the one potentially dangerous thing, he does, is he LOVES to rest his chin on his teammate's neck when we are stopped. The problem occurs when he occasionally gets his check rein over the other horse's hameball. Thankfully, he never fights, and just waits until we release him, but that requires contortionist feats at their height! Is there some kind of strap or cover that would connect have balls, looks decent that, but would prevent the rein from slipping over the ball? Right now, I'm using duct tape running from ball to ball on the teammate successfully, but it looks pretty cheesy!

As always, thanks for all insight and wisdom!

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-04 09:09:22 (CST)

Danielle, have you ever tried switching sides ?
Have you tried a jockey stick that would keep him from moving his head towards the other horse? You are exactly correct, hanging his head over his team-mate's neck can even be very dangerous when the lines get hung up in the ball-ends of the hames.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Redgate says 2016-12-04 13:07:15 (CST)

Haven't considered a jockey stick. In this case, I guess it would be used in addition to the lines?

I have considered switching sides, but wasn't sure if it would benefit in this case. How might the psychology behind that work in this case?

Redgate says 2016-12-04 16:11:07 (CST)

We actually used this method for the last year with limited success. It did stop the head-over-the-neck issue. Instead, he would tuck his chin (I swear this horse is a contortionist himself!), look to the inside, and sometimes manage to get his chin over the cross in the lines. I never could figure out how it was possible, but he managed. More often, than not, though, it worsened the lipping of the yoke. I suspect he learned that habit when I resorted to tying him off like that. All his issues seem to stem from boredom. He just wants to play. That's why we have resorted to the duct tape, a small it seems to solve the safety issue without causing additional habits to form. I am just curious if there is a way to give him an acceptable outlet for play, though.

Dusty 4R says 2016-12-04 16:40:46 (CST)

You never mention what you do with your team or how often. Seems like a nervous or anxious horse that likes or needs to stay busy to me. This horse needs miles imo without knowing the rest. A horse like this won't learn much patience without being tired first. Keep him busy with his energy. Need more story.

Redgate says 2016-12-05 08:17:20 (CST)

I would say they have a fairly moderate work load, with spells of heavy work. We do a huge variety of jobs, from logging to moving and hauling, to plowing, to wagon and carriage rides, and more. We don't own a tractor on our farm. If it has to be moved or hauled, the horses do it! We also do a number of educational events. I haven't detected any anxiety from him. Like I said, he's the same one that hurt himself out grazing in the field. He's just playful to a fault. He wants to nibble, fiddle, and play with everything he comes in contact with. He's as sweet and gentle as they come otherwise. The lipping the yoke issue only happens when he's gotten bored plowing or walking (usually when giving rides around town), while the neck-over issue only happens when he's gotten bored while stopped and waiting. You're right, he doesn't do it when dog tired, but that doesn't happen too often. They are in quite good condition overall, and it takes a LOT of hours and some serious hauling to tire them out. I'm figuring he'll outgrow the playfulness eventually, but I was just curious if there was a solution in the interim.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-05 08:38:14 (CST)

Yes, I think the jockey-stick in conjunction with the rope as Wally suggested should work, but also as Dusty says, this horse needs to get tired so he learns to apply his energy only when needed. There are horses that just have a lot more energy available than normal, just like you have it at school, where some kids can barely be kept in their seats while others are already exhausted.

vince mautino says 2016-12-05 14:42:24 (CST)

I agree with Dusty. Horse needs a lot more work. Get him tired

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-12-06 20:44:13 (CST)

I have to agree with the others. Work him every single day. Let him get tired. He will use his energy for better things and stand quiet when given the chance. The more work he gets the better for him and you.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.