Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I have a 11 year old saddle horse that I would like to start driving again, as 2 year old used a ring snaffle and just dragged a old truck tire around. Since then he just became a saddle horse, I ride wild a medium curb bit with 5 inch shanks. Thinking of using Livermore or military elbow bit with a port. What are some opinions from out there. I'm also going to use a bridle without blinders, sense he's used to pulling stuff from the saddle and like to look back at what he's pulling. If the picture is here it's the bit I ride with

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-01 09:02:55 (CST)

The riding bit with such long shanks is not appropriate for driving. A Liverpool bit would do it. It has a straight bar and three ways of attaching the lines.
Driving without blinders can be recommended for horses which are prepared for it, it will make them safer. You'll have to try out in safe place, since even though a riding horse has seen things behind himself, that is different from being FOLLOWED by something from behind.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-12-01 22:27:25 (CST)

one of the biggest problems I have had with a broke riding horse is they want to turn around and face you when you go to pickup your lines to drive. I probably would just use a ring snaffle bit

BrianL says 2016-12-02 07:28:36 (CST)

One note on Klaus' mention of Liverpool bits. They can be very harsh on a horse's mouth, especially when attached to the higher pivot points and, according to folks like Doc Hammill, should be avoided. I for one use either a straight bar or snaffle, eggbutt rings preferred. Nothing fancy.You want to use the most gentle bit you can while still maintaining control.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-12-02 10:03:49 (CST)

It is true that the Liverpool bit can be quite harsh and as I noted in another post must be used with a very light hand. But the same holds true for snaffle-bits with a "broken" bar, with the added consequence that when you really need you exert control you have to resort to heavy pulling. On the Liverpool bit you can switch from the higher to the lower points or vice versa of pressure as you need it for your horse.
I have found that with the Liverpool you can make horses respond to the slightest pressure and therefore over time softer in the mouth.

K.C. Fox says 2016-12-02 20:49:41 (CST)

the snaffle is not a easy on the mouth bit because of the pinching action from pulling on the lines, it rely is a server bit if used with very much force.

G.D.Rose says 2016-12-02 21:58:37 (CST)

Im appreciate the input and considering what everyone is saying, the reason I'm looking at a Livermore instead of a snaffle is my daughter was unable to control him with a snaffle when she rode him and that when I moved him into the curb bit we ride with now, and I don't what him get the upper hand on me when I start driving him again. What the opinion between a strait mouth piece versus a port sence he already use to port mouth piece. Again thank you for opinions, it gives me food for thought.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.