Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

I have never driven a team of horses or mules and I had a couple of questions that I have been wanting to ask. Here goes: (1) why are thin bits used on some teams? (2) why are some horses wearing 2 bits at one time? (3) are there regulations that say that you have to have thin bits and/or more than one bit on your animals or is it personal preference?

I am asking these questions because I used to ride and it was common for riders in higher levels to use thin bits and 2 bits on their horses. So I am wondering if it is the same in the driving world.

Sharon says 2016-11-29 07:38:20 (CST)

Thin bits have a little more "bite" than a thick bit. If your team is "in the lines" a little more than you'd like, then you could switch to a thinner bit before going to a leverage bit, which can be more severe.

Two bits are used on show horses. . . usually a leverage type bit and an overcheck bit. They check these horses really high and there's no way a sidecheck to the regular bit is enough. A sidecheck is a lot more forgiving than an overcheck, while an overcheck is straight from the mouth to the check hook on the pad or collar. Also, a sidecheck (or overcheck) run to the same bit used to control the horse will interfere a little with the signals given by the driver. If a horse is heavy in the check, then there is constant pressure on the bit being used to control him. Most horses for pleasure and work are not driven checked like show horses. A horse cannot be expected to maintain that headset for much longer than it takes to complete a class. Left on too long, and you can end up with a horse that hangs in the check really bad and is hard mouthed. Same as tying ones head around or "bitting" them up. a little might be good but a lot is not.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-11-29 09:13:48 (CST)

Josie, I don't know of any regulations, but the question of bits is one of having the best way of control, which is actually a question on how to best communicate with the animal. People have different opinions and experiences on that issue, I prefer the Liverpool bit. With it the horses learn to respond to the slightest pressure respectively release thereof provided the driver uses it wisely and has a light hand.

Todd NE WY says 2016-11-29 09:23:46 (CST)

Josie,

I am not sure what you mean by 2 bits. Some of the larger leverage bits will have a second bar across the bottom connecting the side pieces but it does not go in the mouth. As far as the thin bits, its like all horse equipment you find a bit that the horse likes and works well in. I do not know about rules for bits in competition.

Todd

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-11-29 12:53:57 (CST)

The way these show horses are checked can be considered cruelty to the animal, Sharon, and I cannot condone such practice. Thank you for pointing out that the the horse can be hurt by the practice. I am amazed that judges even allow it: A horse that carries his head high only because it is forced does not show his real capacity. The same goes for artificial high-stepping and oversized horse-shoes. This is one of the dark sides of the draft horse "industry". I compare such practices to athletes taking drugs.

Neal in Iowa says 2016-11-29 20:35:35 (CST)

Two bits on a harness bridle generally are the overcheck bit and the bit for the lines. The overcheck bit is generally a thin straight snaffle. The line bit is typically a half cheek snaffle (straight or jointed). Some people put the overcheck on the same bit as the lines.

Full bridles on a riding horse are a snaffle (generally thin for space saving) and a curb bit. The curb bit helps headset and the snaffle for direction and keeping the horse straight.

Neal

Uncle Jed says 2016-12-01 00:11:05 (CST)

Thanks for pointing out the practices used in the show ring that don't cross over to the real world. The horse has to lower it's head to push into the collar and the built up hoof also has no real world value. Stopping now before I get too "cranked up" about these peeves.

Uncle Jed says 2016-12-01 00:16:12 (CST)

Thanks Klaus for pointing out the practices used in the show ring that don't cross over to the real world. The horse has to lower it's head to push into the collar and the built up hoof also has no real world value. Stopping now before I get too "cranked up" about these peeves.

JHItch says 2016-12-10 15:15:50 (CST)

Sorry that I didn't answer sooner. I have been busy finishing my school for the quarter( we do 2 months of school then 1 month of break. All year round.), hiking with my grandmother last week( she visited for a week), and helping my family decorate for Christmas.
Thanks for the info on the bits guys.

JHItch says 2016-12-10 15:28:21 (CST)

Todd,

I mean 2 bits in the horses mouth at the same time. Usually I see snaffle bits,but some times I see some form of a curb bit with a snaffle bit.

Josie

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.