Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Thanks to the rain today which by the way we needed I could neither cut firewood nor did I want to spread manure. With these two good excuses I plunked down in front of the TV and watched Rural Heritage with its report about the field day at the Julian Dairy Farm. It is a real pleasure to see those well-behaved horses doing a variety of chores, as well as the visitors' horses. I was especially impressed with the chopping of silage: Horses in front of motorized forecarts and with the silage flying overhead as both teams - a two horse one and a four abreast- stepping along side by side at a rather brisk gait.
The other night I came along another interesting 11 minute video on You-Tube titled: Amish Farmer with 8 Horse Hitch Chopping Silage. In this case the horses pulled the motorized forecart, the chopper and the big silo-wagon.
Our farming ancestors would have been astonished, to say the least, if they could have seen these two operations. I bet many horse farmers around the world who work with more conventional equipment certainly would be , too. I was, too, even though I had seen that before, in particular how smoothly these operations go.

G.D.Rose says 2016-11-23 08:14:08 (CST)

I watched the silage chopping video and it was very interesting, but I have a question that's close to me, l was wondering does the Amish wear any kind of ear protection when running these power carts. I hope they do for not being able to always hear what your children are saying is not plesent.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-11-23 22:57:09 (CST)

rose your right, if they put a muffler on the engine how bad would the noise be then. My hydraulic cart has a 7 hp motor and you can just hear it running.

BrianL says 2016-11-25 07:53:05 (CST)

G.D. Rose, naturally it depends on the individual but I do know Amish farmers who wear earplugs when working with powered units. Probably the same percentage do/don't as with conventional farmers running their big machines, which can generate quite a din.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-11-25 11:01:49 (CST)

By the way, there are more videos with the Julians' Brabant horses , when you search for Julian Dairy Farm.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.