Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

Hi Joe,
So in your reply to Josie you brought up several topics. What topic has generated the most replies on the porch? What concerns the horse farmer the most?
We are grass farmers here,grazers. Corn , cotton, soy, cattle are all in the tank right now. Why are horses so high? Any answers, even the roping horses are through the roof. The election is over and some are worried about import/exports. I think the cost of inputs and water may control big Ag , maybe.
Inputs control our operation so this is why we use teams. We build most what we need. We still use outside jobs for our main income, healthcare etc.
Again,

What concerns the horse farmer the most right now in this economy, post election? Maybe all is well and thee hobby is doing fine. I think This is a good place to get the feeling all across the country .

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-11-12 17:25:22 (CST)

Dusty, as a horse farmer I of course have many concerns that non-farmers have as well, such as the general economy, health care costs, education, social justice etc.
As a farmer who depends on customers to buy our produce I need to have people willing to spend and have enough money for our produce. Even though we at our farm sell more to restaurants than to individual customers I understand that people have to have the money to spend at the places that I supply with our stuff. In consequence I want to have an economy that works for all, not just a few at the top. That means that I support minimum wages to be raised, tax breaks not given to the ones who actually don't need them, but to those who will spend the additional money. I see good jobs as a presupposition to incomes that people can live on. But jobs do not come from the grace of the fortunate, but from demand, and again demand can only be strong enough if people have enough money. At Karbaumerfarm we price our produce almost in lockstep with the local grocery store, even though theirs is non-organic.
So you see, I want to have an economy in which average people can make enough that they can buy what is produced., while producers make enough profits that their work and risk is worthwhile.
The increased prices for horses point to a higher demand, and that is good up to the point where they get too high and only few can afford them.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-11-13 23:54:50 (CST)

Good well broke horses, Mules and ponies are high the rest are not. If you want cheap Horses, mules or ponies you have to buy good built and break them to ride or drive then there high dollar animals, I have broke several and sold them I am working on more at the present time.

Josie says 2016-11-16 16:31:13 (CST)

As far as the horse market goes. I heard of a 17 year cycle. In which about 8.5 years from now we should be buying and selling horses for dirt cheap prices and about another 8.5 years later we should be back to paying a fortune for them. I hope that this info helps.

Josie

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.