Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

I gathered all the summer cows that were over in the neighbors today, And put them in the corral tonight as they are wild and would go back if I diffident contain them. We are loading the cows out tomorrow. I have rode the past 3 days most all day we have some tired horses tomorrow nite they can rest. I have enjoyed the past week getting everything together I think the count is right on the cows. James will be here tomorrow to help put the rest in the corral. I don't take my blueheeler dog when I'm going to the neighbors to get strays I don't have good enough control over him yet. May every thing be OK with all of you on RH.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-11-01 20:05:12 (CST)

K.C., you surely are one tough guy!!!

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

K.C. Fox says 2016-11-01 21:30:57 (CST)

today was a long day and we came up short 3 cows, so I will have to look some more for them not bad just not good. we will do some more riding and looking for them.

NoraWI says 2016-11-02 06:49:29 (CST)

I sent the pastured cows home on Monday. In preparation that morning I closed them into an 8-acre pasture next to the road. When pasture renter arrived, we blocked the road and opened the gate for them to cross into the small side of the barnyard where the cattle chute is located. Thirty-one head walked the 250 feet in "formation," following the lead cow. It took under a minute. Then it took their owner 5 minutes to back up the trailer and load the first 10 cows for their trip home. He called them by name and they would come into the chute and load. He did this all by himself with no dog nor any help from me. He made 3 trips that day to get them all home and each load took exactly 3 minutes to accomplish.

We talked about it before he left with his last group. The difference is in the handling. This group had a range of ages, all female, from 10-year-olds down to 8-month-olds. They have been physically handled from calvehood. They are used to people being in close proximity to them. And that doesn't stop when they come to my farm for the summer. I rotate them through the pastures and give them salt w/minerals every few days, so they eagerly come when I call. They do keep their personal distance from me but always expect good things to happen, be it the salt or being moved to better grass. Running them through the chute is never traumatic even when they get poured on or pregnancy checked. It's all in the handling and I give full credit to their young owner who has pastured with me for the last 8 years.

G.D.Rose says 2016-11-02 20:40:34 (CST)

Just out of curiosity what size of pasture are you gathering, I'm from Gordon NE so I can guess what size of pasture you may be gathering. Nora 30 head of cows that are in small lots handle different than large herd in much larger pasture. I know what Mr. Fox is talking about. What's fun is when I was younger I worked for a rancher in Montana that had 2000 beef cows all in range conditions. His winter pasture alone was 10 sections, or 6400 acre. so you get to ride and enjoy yourself sure miss those days.

K.C. Fox says 2016-11-05 22:44:41 (CST)

the pasture's are small 1 1/2 sections. I have rode almost all of the neighbors pastures some again for the 2ond time and haven't found any more cows I did find one dead cow from this year so still have 2 to find hopefully. I'm trying to get some horses for winter pasture around 100 head some are broke to ride.

NoraWI says 2016-11-06 07:28:22 (CST)

GD Rose, I know that 100+ head over K.C. Fox's 2 1/2-Section "small" pastures are way different from 30 head rotated through truly small (8-acre) pastures. And rounding up 100 horses is quite a chore as well. I have been West and I consider those to be "ranges" and not really "pastures." Different as day and night. But, like kids, hard to rein in after they have been allowed to go wild over the summer. Just wanted to show another side to that story... :)

K.C. Fox says 2016-11-06 20:53:22 (CST)

I found 2 more cows today no calves so we are real close to the count. they are real wild almost had to rope one but I front footed her once and she got her head on straight and followed the other one, those 2 will take a good horse to corral them again. my horse was not rely good enough to handle them without roping them. When you front foot them you just front foot them and turn them loose it gets them with the idea that you can handle them and it is fun to be able to drive them where you want. Have a great day, I have had a great day will call the owner tomorrow and tell him that I have them in the corral. he will be happy.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.