Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I hope the mule fans on the Front Porch could take time out today to watch Rural Heritage on RFD-TV today about Bishop Mule Days. Really great!I must say I was very impressed with the variety of activities and contests they had and the large number of good-looking and well performing mules. Where do they all come from ? I didn't know that California was such great mule country anymore.
I have to confess when I read the title the first time ( I think last year since this was a repeat) I was confused: Bishop mules -what kind are they? Or, was there a bishop with the name Mule, of which denomination, and why were they celebrating several days in his honor? Nobody would make a mule a bishop for fun, I hoped. Then it dawned on me , that must have geographic connections, and I found a place named "Bishop" in California. But that all came from a cultural misunderstanding: In Bavaria we didn't name towns after ranks in the church.

BrianL says 2016-10-18 19:57:38 (CST)

Klaus- According to the town's official bio:

"Samuel A Bishop...on, 3 July 1861, left Fort Tejon with about 500 head of cattle bound for the Owens Valley. On 22 August, he arrived on Bishop Creek about 3 miles west of downtown Bishop and established the Saint Francis Ranch. Samuel Bishop did not remain in the area long, but by 1862, a town was established near the ranch. That town was called Bishop Creek. The town grew, and in April 1903 was incorporated to be the City of Bishop."

Anyways, it's a very American thing to name (or is it re-name?) places after the first (usually white European) person to show up.

As for a mule being a bishop, while they are highly reverential creatures, they don't go much for fancy titles or human auspices.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-10-18 19:58:52 (CST)

I should correct myself, there are a few places, in Germany that include the title " Bischof" like in Bischofsheim, meaning " home of a bishop", but they would never be stand-alone names. And , of course, I had never experienced a link between a rank of clergy and an animal in a name. So you see, the lack of cultural exposure can lead to misunderstandings.

Billy Foster says 2016-10-19 06:03:00 (CST)

Joe have you shared this video? I would love to see it.
Billy

Uncle Joe says 2016-10-19 07:33:22 (CST)

That video was shot and produced by Video Mike Kerson. I only share shows shot and produced by me. Sorry. Mike offers all his videos for wale at video-mike.com./

Joe

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.