Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

I watched both episodes on RH, RFD-TV and both were interesting, the wagon train and also the efforts to get a plow workable, but I hope we get to see more of the event, Joe. 120 horses plowing, that should be worth a show!

Uncle Joe says 2016-10-09 07:17:46 (CST)

Wish I could deliver that, Klaus. Trouble is, at exactly the moment when the horses all took to the fields, the sky opened up with heavy rain. The rain lasted throughout the attempt.

At 2:30, I had gotten myself positioned to shoot the event which was scheduled for 3 pm. Then we were told the organizers were postponing the attempt until 4 pm to give the ground a little more time to dry. As I waited for it to start, I watched the storm clouds advance.

When the rain started, I put my camera under a plastic grocery bag to protect it and tried to get some shots but it was dark and wet and hard to shoot.

A few minutes after it was all over, the sky cleared and the sun came out.

Sometimes that's how it is. You get one chance to shoot something and it does not always work out.

Joe

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-10-09 10:34:22 (CST)

What a pity! My friend, Doyle Prawl, was at the event with his mules, I would have liked to see him! But as you said, Joe, the weather ruled. As a farmer I see that all too often.

Uncle Joe says 2016-10-09 17:43:59 (CST)

Yes. It was a shame. The Albert City group always does a great job putting on their annual event, and the horse people worked very hard to get a large number of draft horse (and mule) people to the event to feature horsepower instead of a tractor brand this year. The record breaking attempt is something of a gimmick, I think, but it worked. And the horse folks worked very hard to accommodate everyone, all despite a ridiculous amount of rain before the event.

I wish I could have stayed one more day to shoot the mules plowing who were originally scheduled to plow Friday, then Saturday, and finally Sunday. I had other commitments Sunday morning so had to head home right after the rain started during the horse plowing.

Joe

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-10-10 15:23:01 (CST)

I enjoyed the show too.
I don't know how you balance all the things that you do and to think that just like us farmers...weather impacts you too!

Hutch says 2016-10-11 21:48:34 (CST)

If you ever change your mind be sure to let us know before hand. I have some footage of it and I'm sure others to as well. Just saying
Thank you for all you do!!!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.