Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I apologize for not keeping up on the farm questions as well as I should but I have been super busy the last few weeks. My cripple mule is still improving but I didn't think I should put her to the mowing machine just yet. As a consequence, I haven't been able to get any hay cut until now, so I'm taking my first and second cutting together. As they say, "It'll beat snowballs." but not by much. I had to scramble to find haying equipment for the tractor and was fortunate to run across a good roll baler from my neighbor. He sold me an 848 new holland that his grandmother had bought for the family 30 years ago. It had been barn kept and was in really good condition. I was able to find a mower in another friends barn, but the jury is still out on it. It's a New Holland 456 trail mower with a 9ft bar. Apparently it's had a hard life and seems like I spend about as much time working on it as I do mowing. I suspect the cutter bar needs rebuilding and someone as rigged the tilt mechanism to the point it doesn't work any longer. That will need to be overhauled as well. Any mouses nest or clumps causes it to choke and it wants to slide out of the grass on a slope. It's a slow go, but it makes me appreciate my mules and the number 9. As my grandpa would say, "It builds character." Of course he would also remind me that "poor people have poor ways." and I reckon I'd be inclined to agree. But, I like the feeling of independence and I keep chipping away at it. Making hay, seemingly foot by foot though, is enough to make a deacon cuss. The deer got the Floriani Red corn and that seems to be an exercise in futility. I resolve next year to be my final attempt and I plan to try a high, electric fence around the field. I ended up running the cattle on the few stalk left standing and the hogs can follow them. The tobacco is in the barn and nearly ready to strip. We had our organic inspection last week and all went well. The neighbor who sold me the baler had two tractors down at the same time and had hay down. I went over and baled for him a couple of days and was able to get his hay up before the rain. Though it's started off to be a dry fall, we got just enough rain to sprout my cover crops and the winter oats and clover are coming on good.

K.C. Fox says 2016-10-07 08:52:35 (CST)

You have done a great job with the farm questions, I have learned so much. I know you have things to do to survive so that you can post more questions, and i will wait until you can post more. I hope and pray that everything goes well for you and yours, take all the time that you need.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Todd NE WY says 2016-10-07 09:09:49 (CST)

Hang in there Jerry like most years I am so far behind I would get lapped if it was a track meet.

Todd

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-10-07 19:19:44 (CST)

I agree with all of you guys. I just worked a long stretch at my off farm job. I was feeling pretty good when the whole thing started, but by the time I finished with the almost 3 weeks, I am scrambling!
The corn is ripe and ready to start picking. The speltz needed planting. Thankfully last night at dark I had completed that job.
My barns need cleaned. I have piglets to castrate and some to wean. I cut winter firewood for an old neighbor. I need to complete that job and get it delivered.
I hate to bore everyone, cause some how I know if there are animals or seasonal crops in your life....there is always something to do!
Send the farm questions when you can Jerry, like many, I enjoy them too.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.