Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I'm getting a team of fjords soon (they're bought, I just haven't picked them up yet). They're pretty drafty, but I'm just not sure what they can pull, and I'm looking at some equipment for them. Does anyone know what's reasonable? I live in a hilly area, but it is the midwest - we're not talking mountains. Could they pull a full sized bobsled, with say, half a dozen people? Or should I be looking at more of a 4 person bobsled? What size of manure spreader? I'm looking at the Pioneer ones, that come in 35, 55, and 75 bushel sizes. Any thoughts appreciated!

Neal in Iowa says 2016-09-26 07:52:29 (CST)

Amelia,

Spreader size is not a real issue for the sizes you listed. I would suggest sizing it based on how often you plan to spread and on quickly you want to get it done.

My Morgan mares (1,100 pounds) have no problem with a JD L, which I think is 55 bushels struck level. I do not have any ground more than 7% slope. If you have a steeper descent when not in gear, you should consider that or look into brakes on the largest spreader.

Pulling ability starts with want to and then is enhanced with conditioning. If they don't want to, physical ability is moot.

You need to be able to read your horses to know when you are asking too much. Ask too much too often and you might kill the want to, even if you do not hurt them physically.

Neal

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-26 09:04:19 (CST)

Any weight to be pulled has to be commensurate to the weight of the Fjords. Generally speaking, a good team can pull five times their own weight as a rolling load over flat ground over longer distances. With a bobsled the load can vary depending on ground conditions. When the snow is compact then the sled will glide much easier than f it's deep. If you get a bobsled for six you can always adjust the load by filling or not filling to total capacity
Ground driven manure spreaders exert two different loads, one is the weight of the manure, the other one is the force required to work the mechanics. I would go with the smaller manure spreader, especially if you spread on hilly or sloping ground, but certainly people who have Fjords can be more specific. In any case, yu want to avoid overloading your horses, that only makes them nervous and jumpy.

Jonathan Shively says 2016-09-27 09:44:59 (CST)

Spreaders. They come in many sizes and colors. Two wheeled and four wheeled. Ground driven and PTO driven. So, what can the Fjords pull? Or better, what will work behind the Fjords? The incredibly large pto driven spreaders we will not even think about. Two wheeled if you have a forecast are good. I like backing my four wheeled spreader better than backing my two wheeled spreader with a fore cart for some reason. I actually don't know what the size/capacity of my spreaders are, but I have pulled the four wheeled one with three shetlands, two haflingers, a number of crossbred ponies and horses of various sizes. So, the size of the spreader really isn't a concern to me. Why? Because if they can pull it empty it is up to you how much you put in it. With my shetlands I put about two wheel barrow loads in it evenly across the bottom. Yes it takes a while, but their poop is smaller! Light airy manure puts less pull on them than packed manure that the beaters have to "tear" up. In the spring before plowing I start my Fjords with lighter loads (1/2 evenly loaded). If they are full of vinegar (a lot of energy) I will load the back high and the front high so they have two good heavy pulls instead of one large long pull. So you can create many different pulling opportunities for your team with only one spreader. Composted manure just flows, packed manure puts a pull on them. I actually find hauling manure with a team one of the most enjoyable jobs we do together. But then again, I am kind of weird.

K.C. Fox says 2016-10-04 07:45:07 (CST)

what they can and will pull depends alot on how much you use them and there being willing to try. the more you you use them the better they will get use them light at first and work into heaver loads never overload them. It will surprise you what they will pull for you. I have a team of 450 lb poines that will feed (unroll) a 1400 lb bale of hay after hauling it about 1 mile just take it easy at first.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-10-04 10:27:28 (CST)

As to the manure spreader, I prefer the four-wheeled ones, and I pull mine behind the forecart. Easy to hook up to and I can park the horses somewhere else while I am loading. Also, I do not get any manure on my head while spreading.
Depending on the condition of the manure( wet or dry) the load can vary a lot. Also, you will have to consider, if your Fjords are the heavier draught type or the more elegant lighter type when you decide about the size of the spreader. It also makes a big difference if your spreading manure on a meadow/pasture or on a field where the wheels may sink in the softer ground. Anyway, always have them rather pull a lighter load than one that gets them all excited or even discourages them.

Billy Foster says 2016-10-05 07:59:49 (CST)

As someone that has worked lighter horses on our farm for several years I would like to say you should be cautious not to overwork them as Klaus mentioned. This is not a small point to be made. Having equipment sized so that they must work hard every time they are hitched is going to set them up to be antsy and anxious. you will not get work done any quicker using a bigger spreader that they can pull with force and resting or a smaller one they can pull easily with more trips. What you will most likely have with the smaller spreader is a calmer team that you enjoy as apposed to anxious pulling horses.
I made the mistake of overworking my smaller horses and I wish that I had listened to others when they warned me of this very issue. I find a horse with a light draft is much more comfortable and easier to work with day in and day out. I think the rule of thumb is 100 pounds of draft per thousand of animal to work the day?
Billy

Amelia says 2016-10-05 09:05:01 (CST)

Thanks for the replies! It's hard to know where that spot is between not using the horses well, vs asking too much and putting them off! I have an old 4 wheel manure spreader I think may be too big for them (I think it's a 75 bushel), but I think I'll repair that and see how they go pulling it empty, then go from there, and not try to buy one before they come. Thanks!

Todd NE WY says 2016-10-05 12:30:16 (CST)

One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is I am not sure a manure spreader is the best choice for the first thing to be pulled by a new team in a new environment. I would look at getting a fore cart or small wagon or even a work sled to just make sure everyone is on the same wavelength before hooking to a manure spreader. Remember the way they worked at the current owners place may not be the same at your place.

Todd

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-10-05 18:39:52 (CST)

Todd, you are absolutely right, a manure spreader definitely should not be the first thing for a team to be hooked up to, even if they have pulled other vehicles in their old environment. A forecart is something I assume everybody has. The rule should be that in a new environment you let horses do what they are familiar with from their old home before you make them do something new. One may stray from that rule if a new horse gets hooked up with an older, experienced horse at the new place. Even then one should be prepared for surprises!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.