Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

I started building a new fence about 1/4 mile long, I dug all the post holes,put in all the dead men, and got all the post in. put in 3 of the 5 wires in in the last 3 days. tomorrow should get the other 2 put in and start tying the wire in place. Then I have 1 1/2 miles of fence to take out and pull the post.

Robert Dennis says 2016-09-19 09:24:05 (CST)

Sure hope I don't ever have to build a 5 wire fence.!!!!! Sounds to me like your working too hard. Better run over to Valentine in a couple weeks and meet me there at the Gathering. Be nice to talk face to face...

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-19 10:23:51 (CST)

Well, K.C. you got work dug out for! Hope you took the right beverage along to make work a bit easier and more enjoyable!

The Oktoberfest started in Munich, Bavaria on Saturday and will last through the first weekend in October (therefore Oktoberfest). Why did I think of it when I read your post about all that work?

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-09-19 14:40:35 (CST)

K.C. Tough job, but sounds like you are making good progress. Hopefully you'll get a few cool autumn days as you labor. I have to say, I'd rather build fence than take it down. That taking it down stuff can be a rough job, depending upon how much grass and brush has grown into the old fence.

BrianL says 2016-09-20 12:44:04 (CST)

That's tough work. Wishing you cool weather and a nice breeze. Plus what Klaus suggested.

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-23 06:38:00 (CST)

My hands got so sore that I took some time off from fence building. all the twisting wire as we use Hedge post so no staples. It is coming along real good 2 more days and I will be done. thanks for your thoughts.

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-29 09:25:28 (CST)

I got done last nite about dark building the fence. I have some more wire to wind up and old post to pull out it looks real good. going to load out some calves sat.

BrianL says 2016-09-29 18:38:42 (CST)

A job well done! Very rewarding to complete a task like that, isn't it?

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-29 21:17:25 (CST)

Yes it makes you feel real good when you finish a job like that, all by yourself. As you have no one to blame if It goes wrong. R.D. I will try to make it to Valentine for one day of the Gathering what would be the best day for you?

vince mautino says 2016-09-29 22:18:43 (CST)

I don't have much fence building to do anymore, but my wife decided she wanted the snow fence moved back a bit further to protect around the house more

Knowing that I am pretty much worth less during the fall because of hunting season, it was suggested I get it done now.

I only had to do about 75 feet, but driving those 15 tee bars in to this hard, dry, Colorado clay sure kicked my butt. I was sure surprised how thin those things have gotten. Sure couldn't push them in with a tractor bucket anymore

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-30 08:41:45 (CST)

the ground here is hard in places, that I could not dig with hand post hole diggers. I use a auger on a 1/2" drill and a small generator the dirt comes out in a dry powder. the ground is hard for 2 ' deep then fairly soft. It is dry here now a cow walking down the trail has a cloud of dust following her along.

Robert Dennis says 2016-10-03 14:22:58 (CST)

KC I am performing Friday afternoon and then Saturday morning and afternoon. Probably going to the night shows, so just show up and ask or look for me.. I will be the old fat guy with the start of a gray beard! :D
Cindy will be along and also my son and probably his wife...

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.