Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

• latest reply 7 years ago

7 years ago

rh comment count

After a couple weeks of very heavy rain (two back-to-back record months), combined with the hottest summer on record, we're being inundated with mosquitos. We have a wide variety of species, from the ubiquitous ones that bite at dusk, to the daytime varieties, including the giant Gallinipper. (Bites like the dickens, btw.) Our ducks are doing what they can to eat as many bugs as they can find, but our field is so bad that, even though it finally dried up enough to work, I'm not taking my mules out there until it lets up. It's that bad. Hoping this week's hot & dry weather bakes the little demons and things get back to normal. Climate change is playing havoc with a lot of things. I really hope this bug thing isn't the "new normal."

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-05 13:30:41 (CST)

Well, I am afraid , Brian, it will be the new normal to have these weather extremes with the concomitant phenomenon of an abundance of bugs, and other consequences. Zika virus bearing mosquitoes once were restricted to the tropical zones, too, now they are advancing into the southern USA. There are still some people who for ideological reasons are sticking their heads in the sand and are denying climate change while meanwhile scientists at the meeting of the International Union of Geological Sciences are debating if " Earth has centered a new epoch, called the Anthropocene, defined by humans and our effect on the planet" as Time magazine reports.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

BrianL says 2016-09-05 18:55:35 (CST)

Yes, I've seen the recommendation to the International Geological Congress, read that it essentially passed (with a vote of 30 in favor, 3 against) and it does make sense, considering our impact on the planet. Even on the agricultural front, mankind has doubled the amount of nitrogen and phosphorus in the soil in less than 100 years, which is the greatest change in the nitrogen cycle in 2.5 billion years. For creatures that have existed for a mere fraction of a sliver of time on this planet, we've sure made a mess of things.

K.C. Fox says 2016-09-10 09:03:06 (CST)

Skeeters are a natural by product of rain and water holes. weather changes never stays the same. our weather patterns have changed erratically since Mt St Hellens blew her top and spewed more crap into the air than all of mankind has done.Just my thoughts for the day.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-15 09:05:02 (CST)

KC, the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased from 280 ppm to 400 ppm ever since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. The reasons are clear, the burning of fossil fuels as well as wide-spread deforestation. This leads us back into an era when it was much warmer than our present eco-systems are used to. We can try to stop this as best as we can, try to mitigate the effects and try to adapt. The damage is already done, but we shouldn't try to further go along the way of spewing more carbon dioxide into the air.

BrianL says 2016-09-15 15:14:46 (CST)

Volcanoes like Mt. Saint Helens, can have a short-term effect on climate, but usually cause cooling rather than warming. Same principle as nuclear winter. Which, along with climate change, is a good thing to work to avoid!

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.