Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Hello from Maine. I have a pair of older Belgian mares that I take to in the local shows. We always have a good time and most often win a little money. This year one of my mares doesn't drink much at the shows. I used the same water pails (filled just before we leave home). this summer has been very hot here in Maine and I worry about her going most of the day without water. Her team mate is my mare that usually drinks the least of the four but she is drinking well at the shows. I have salt licks in the stall at all times but do not have any in the pastures. I was wondering what other folks do about this. Also wondering who might be going to the Belgian congress in Ma in October. I would love to meet up with some of the front porchers.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-09-05 13:32:50 (CST)

I am not traveling with my horses, but I know that some people with very taste sensitive equines take their own water along.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Redgate says 2016-09-05 15:07:00 (CST)

We do several things when traveling.....

About 2 weeks before we leave, we begin adding small amounts of apple cider vinegar to the water to hide different flavors/smells. You can do the same with jello or kool aid, but I like ACV because it offers nutrition during stressful travel, which is good. Continue using the ACV throughout your trip.

Secondly, if the horse gets grain, soak it in as much water as you can prior to feeding. If you don't grain, give some Timothy or alfalfa pellets soaked in water. Even plain oats will take up a significant amount if allowed to sit for a few hours first. This ensures the horse is getting at least several additional gallons per day--especially if they don't like to drink away from home. Hope that helps!

G.D.Rose says 2016-09-05 19:12:54 (CST)

Get your horse use to drinking water that was flavored with cool aide or Gatorade at home then when you are on the road, you can than provide your horse with water with flavor that they are used to, my sister did with a horse that she rodeo with and it worked quite well for her

Robin From Maine says 2016-09-05 19:16:28 (CST)

Klaus,
I have a lot of minerals in my well water and always carry enough for the day. For the past 9-10 years I never had a problem with her drinking. It just started this year.

beelee says 2016-09-10 09:16:29 (CST)

Like Redgate says...
I have an old horse who eats alfalfa/timothy cubes, which are soaked in a huge amount of water. As a result, he almost never touches his water tub, receiving enough water from the soaked cubes. Purina even makes a product called "Hydration Hay", which is no doubt a clever marketing ploy for compressed hay. Soaked pellets/cubes might be a good, sneaky way of getting water into the horse.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.