Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

Hello from Northeast Ohio. I am celebrating today because we have finally gotten some much needed rain. We measure two inches since Thursday, less than many folks got, but the whole farm is turning green again.

It has been a great summer. The of the lack of rain made for a good first cutting hay season. I also was able to complete a project in my woods that required very dry soil. I moved rubble and gravel and constructed a hump where sap will be unloaded and pumped to the sugarhouse. The horses will walk up the hump and unload the sap into a tank on the ground. This hump will allow us to tap an additional 400 taps, because the horses will be saved from making several trips to the sugarhouse.

The growing pastured piglets are eating on their own and will be castrated this coming week. They will spend ten more days with mom and then be weaned.

My corn, though spotty, is filling ears with two on every stalk. This rain should help that effort too. My woodshed is filled to the brim with split white oak from a tree that I have been working on for the last three years. That job too is 99% complete. So while the rain falls outside...I will rest in the shade and continue to break my Percheron filly and smile until at least sunset!

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-08-15 08:23:53 (CST)

I didn't load two other pictures. This one will make Nora's day I hope

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Ralph in N.E.Oh says 2016-08-15 08:26:20 (CST)

This one of my maple sap hump. It will soon serve as a transfer station for the sap. I hope to pump from here to the sugarhouse, saving my horses several trips.

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.