Already Registered?      Or Please Register to Post a New Message

Login Register

Complete Message (link)

7 years ago

rh comment count

I used to read these posts and speak up occasionally but I somehow got out of the habit after the new set-up arrived. Easily spooked?

I'm out here in SW WI trying to make hay with horses. It's going well, though last year I sought advice in this forum because we had a horse develop EIPH. He continues to have troubles and we are now looking for a new teammate for his partner.

I'd love to hear ideas about the best way to go about re-teaming a horse. Not a process I'm looking forward to.

Bird

Mike Rock says 2016-08-03 21:48:05 (CST)

Hi, is this 'the' bird by Daleyville?

Valerie

7 years ago via Forums | Front Porch Forum

Bird says 2016-08-07 09:10:22 (CST)

Yes it is. Hi Valerie!

Wes Lupher says 2016-08-15 00:21:21 (CST)

Hi Bird.
I don't think it's too big of an issue. Every horse and mule I own will work with different team mates in different places, and hitches. They're more versatile than people think.
I've had a few that came to me with previous owners saying he works on the right or left (whatever the case may be) and I'd forget and just plug em in where needed. They generally come around fast.
The advantage I have is lot's of steady work.

Klaus Karbaumer says 2016-08-15 08:59:41 (CST)

Wes is right, horses will adjust to new teams partners relatively fast. I had that situation several times in the last six years. When the new horse arrives, give him a day to get acquainted with his new stable/pasture mates and with you and then just hook up. The more often they work together, the better they will be.

Bird says 2016-08-22 09:41:51 (CST)

With a heavy heart we let go of our good horse Tom yesterday. He is the horse I have with EIPH. He just can't keep up with his teammate and is off to be a dude horse. I am fortunate to have found a place for him.

We have the new horse here and the horses are sorting out their relationships. I will begin driving today. The horses are fine but the people are very sad to see the friendly fellow leave us.

K.C. Fox says 2016-08-23 01:06:48 (CST)

Hook them up and go to work. If you don't think they worked like you thought they should switch sides tomorrow and go to work. then you can decide which side they belong on. that is how we do around here. sometimes there is a lot of difference which side there on, as far as the animals getting along. one of ours will try to bite or kick the other if he is on the right but not on the left, one mule we had would place the mower inner shoe just right, he would pull the other over to get in the furrow when plowing the garden.

forum rules icon

Forum rules
Read these first

forum monitor icon

Uncle Joe
Forum Moderator

Search forum
Search the forum ARCHIVE

Banner Ads

Available on-line
mischka.com/shop
Rural Heritage
Magazine
The Apr/May24
edition of Rural Heritage
is now available by
subscription or
single issue purchase
Check out a preview in our Reading Room.

calendar icon
Upcoming
Events
Rural Heritage
Calendar of Events
Home of the webs most
extensive Draft Horse, Mule &
Oxen Calendar of Events.

Bowmansville Roller Mill
1850s era mill used as
grist, roller and saw-
mills.